POTS-Safe Cold Medications?

Hello everyone - I am currently sick with a cold for the first time since my POTS diagnosis in May. Or maybe its allergies? I'm not sure. I have noticed that most OTC cold medications, like Sudafed, make me feel weird/loopy/high/tired, even before I knew I had POTS, so I just avoid using them. But when I was diagnosed my cardiologist said medications like Sudafed are actually "cardio toxins", and can have a stronger effect on people with POTS - No wonder! So now that I'm sick I would like some relief, and I'm wondering if you all prefer certain medications to deal with your colds/flu. My main symptom is sinus congestion and somehow my nose is runny and dry/burning at the same time (like up in my sinuses). Are there any POTS-recommended drugs for that? I'm willing to try herbal remedies too. Thank you!

Hello @Neomorph I have HPOTS and cannot take decongestants. So for allergies I take claritin or flonase nasal spray. And for colds I stick to mucinex, the simple kind. It makes your secretions looser so it is easier to expectorate or blow your nose. And rest and hydration.

my Cardiologist says i can take claritin or allegra for the allergies and mucinex for the expectorant. can't remember the last time i took a OTC cold med sure there is a reason why i don't. If you can handle alcohol (grandma's recipe) is a bit of brandy and honey in your tea.       

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

If you can handle alcohol (grandma's recipe) is a bit of brandy and honey in your tea. 

@MikeO my german mom always swore bu fresh squeezed lemon juice, honey and vodka. Then she would tuck us into bed with tons of covers, let us sleep and sweat it out. 

( Not recommended for everyone ). 

Thank you all for essential information that I really needed.  Unfortunately brought home from ER visit an unwanted respiratory virus.  Was not feeling at all well but I had no hints as to what would be safe OTC medications for chest congestion for someone with Dysautonomia.  Thank you, as always my lifeline.