To work or not to work....

Hi everyone!

I'm moving soon and haven't decided if I'm going to work or not. Has anyone's doctor either put them on disability or wrote a doctor's note so your job would let you work from home? I'm trying to weigh my options based on my daily symptoms and working from home seems to be my only option. I've been with my job 15 years but not sure what they will say if I ask to work from home without a doctor's note. Any thoughts or ideas? As always thank you for your time and responses. 

It was not easy, but I got my company to allow me to work from home with doctor's paperwork each year (even though it says "permanent need"). It is pretty crucial - sometimes I can’t sit up, I get IVIG and hydration at home, I use various devices that are not portable, I still pass out… this way I’m very productive and yet safe, and don’t have to have incident reports filled out for me. I once had to get notes from cardiologists stating I COULD go to work, because they were so freaked out about me being on the floor. I didn’t know then that my job could be done from home.

@MomtoGiuliana I am seeing the Cardiologist at UCLA who diagnosed my Preload Failure on 6/28. I plan to ask him what he can do for me. I almost feel bad asking because after reading some experiences on here I feel like mine aren't as bad. They are still extremely difficult to deal with though. This is all still surreal to me and I'm trying to handle it the best way I can. Thank you for taking time to respond. I am very grateful. 

@RecipeForDisaster You make perfect sense. Thank you for taking time to respond. I appreciate it. 

11 hours ago, Macho319 said:

@MomtoGiuliana I am seeing the Cardiologist at UCLA who diagnosed my Preload Failure on 6/28. I plan to ask him what he can do for me. I almost feel bad asking because after reading some experiences on here I feel like mine aren't as bad. They are still extremely difficult to deal with though. This is all still surreal to me and I'm trying to handle it the best way I can. Thank you for taking time to respond. I am very grateful. 

@RecipeForDisaster You make perfect sense. Thank you for taking time to respond. I appreciate it. 

Haha, I don’t know if anyone has EVER told me that - thank you! 

I know a lot of people encouraged me to just go on disability and quit working. It’s part of my identity, I can do it perfectly from home and I really like it. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment, I enjoy my work, and although I miss my coworkers terribly, I am grateful to have it. Plus, it’s nicely distracting when I am really uncomfortable.

I was in healthcare management. Never wanted to stop working, loved my job. But my primary pulled me for medical reasons in December 2019. I tried to work from home but between my RA (can’t walk, use hands, or read) and POTS (BP and HR very unstable and severe activity intolerance) it just wasn’t realistic. 
I asked my doc “do you think I’m “disabled”, she said “you’ve been disabled for 5 years, but you just kept going and we didn’t want to burst your bubble”! 😂 That helped me to accept the reality. Now, 4 years later I have to admit, they were right. The only job I think I could do is medical experimental subject! 
Also, in hindsight, my ability to do my job had been declining slowly for years. I was fooling myself that I could still do my very demanding job, managing 4 departments and 120 clinical staff at 5 sites. I was unconsciously adapting and struggling, survived because I was very good at my job. But The last year I couldn’t “travel” to even visit the offsite clinics! 
I’ve dreamed of going back to work “when I’m all better”! I’m working at coming to grips with reality. My goals for this year are to be able to eat solid food and walk 100 feet with walker! 🤪

@MaineDoug WOW! That's quite the story. Thank you for sharing. This is why I question if I am able to return or not. My situation isn't where yours is, but that also doesn't mean I'm ok either. I was a Sales Manager for a real estate office in Los Angeles. I LOVED my job! I am a natural teacher, mentor and coach. The issue came when I was out of the office. I would go on carvans with my agents to tour $17 million dollar homes in Hidden Hills and I could barely get around the house let alone go upstairs. The stairs ALWAYS triggered an episode for me. I would feel a sudden dropping sensation in my body, my legs would be on fire, I would immediately feel presyncope and palpitations for 30 mins or more. The Agents would ask me why I wasn't going upstairs and I would make excuses. I've been on disability now since last July, but since my year is almost up I'm weighing my options. Things haven't gotten better this past year, they've become worse. Anyhow that's my rant. Appreciate all of you! 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:28 PM, Macho319 said:

Has anyone's doctor either put them on disability or wrote a doctor's note so your job would let you work from home?

@Macho319 That really depends on your job description! I worked for 5 years when I should not have due to passing out and having seizures at work. My PCP gave me all kind of restrictions and my employer ( I was a RN in a hospital ) accommodated all of them, from less days, shorter shifts, work only while seated etc. In the end I used up all of my FMLA and am now disabled for the past ten years. 

In the US an employer is supposed to accommodate any REASONABLE request to ensure your ability to remain employed, however they do not have to guarantee your employment if this causes them difficulty, or if you cannot comply with your job description. In other words - they CAN keep you on in any position they want but they dont have to. Here is a link to the Americans with Disabilities Act    https://www.ada.gov/  you may find some information there. Best of Luck!