On my way to the doctor

MightyMouse

Bless my allergist heart for seeing me today. It was him or the ER... I was up half the night with asthma attacks, I'm short of breath from just walking down my stairs in my house, or the 10 feet from my kitchen to my car. I was crying in my driveway this morning. Bless Teri too, for calling my allergy doc and scoring an appointment an hour from now.

Nina

Hi Nina

I am so sorry that you are feeling so badly...astma attacks are scary..I am glad that you are able to get into see the doc so quickly that is wonderful..

I really hope that they can offer you some much needed relief..

HUGS to you MM!!

Linda

Thanks ladies. I just got back. According to my doc, my diagnosis is as clear as mud. :( Lots of blood work to request from my GP, and that appt is thursday.

Allergy doc is very concerned about the magnitude of my exhaustion. I actually did quite well on the spirometry tests--lungs like Lance Armstrong. Apparently the night and early am attacks are post nasal drip aggravating my upper airway. No med changes right now. He things maybe a metabolic disorder, thyroid, rheumetoid...or bacterial infection that is not sensitive to Ketek. He felt though, that Ketek is a darned good antibiotic and should have done something for me by now, so back to the blood work.

Hurry up and wait. In the mean time, I'm going to set up an appt with my disability office at grad school. I need to make sure that absences will not affect my grade.

Nina

Oh Nina...it's never easy, is it? I'm so sorry that your repiratory symptoms aren't clearing up on the antibiotic. Is there anything that helps treat your symptoms while you're waiting for the blood work? Would a strong cough suppressant work? I hope you get some relief soon. I sure know all about the asthma and the agony of not being able to sleep because the coughing is so bad. I hope that you get some answers SOON!

Kristen

oh Nina,

I'm so sorry. I was thinking that the antibiotics should already have done their work. I'm sorry that you have to wait until thursday for the bloodwork and then another waiting time for the results. I hope the disability office can help you. I would hate your absences to affect your grade. I'm sending you best wishes for your doc's to soon find out what's wrong and for a speedy recovery!!!

Corina :(

(and I'm glad you have lungs like Lance!!!)

I wrote my prof and let her know that I have a dis. office appt tomorrow regarding attendance accomodations. I'm working now on putting together my package of info, printing out stuff from here and elsewhere on the web.

Thanks for hanging in with me while I work through this, and for your suggestions... at night I have cough drops, but can't take liquid supressants as they set off my reflux issues. I use breathe-right strips. My allergy/asthma guy gave me a new sinus rinse bottle for when I'm not so congested that the rinse causes ear pain.

back to my printing in preparation for tomorrow.

Nina

Nina,

I hope you find out what's putting you into this deep pots hole your in----and I hope it's something that can be fixed so you will feel better soon.

Good luck at the Doctors visit---I'll be thinking of you..........

Hang in there, and try to rest as much as you can.

Julie :0)

Hey Nina..

If you haven't tried it, you may want to ask your doctor about guaifenesin. It is a pill (not a liquid), and it supresses the hypersensitive coughing reflex. When I took it, I was finally able to get the sleep i needed. Not sure if it would work for you...i know we're all different! Just wanted to mention it in case you didn't know about it.

Kristen

PS-- it also helps thin mucus and get it draining! hooray!

Hello again my friends. :)

I had my meeting with the disability service office today. At first I didn't think it was going well--my assigned representative is actually the assistant director. She was looking over my paper work, all from between 99-01, so she was concerned with how old the paperwork was. I basically said that I've had these issues since birth, as stated in one of my reports from Grubb (2001), and I will likely have a harder time with age. Once I started describing some of the issues I've had in the last few years, she softened up a great deal, wrote me my accomodation letter for "absences due to medical necessity" and wished me well with my Ph.D. program. I let her keep one of my DINET info cards :)

Still feeling pretty cruddy, althoughy very slightly less so than the past few days--but I'll have to admit to not needing to work as hard today, so I think that was part of it. Also, I'd done my homework for grad school last week, so I was able to go to bed early again last night.

I have my gp appointment tomorrow. I have to be firm with her that some tests MUST be done. I've never really had any endocrine tests done other than cortisol...so that's got to be part of the standard fare too. I also have my pain management appt on Friday; my regular guy is away, so this is a new doc for me and I'm hoping he's decent.

Thanks for being a resource for me. :) Nina