Digestive Scope (Colo/Endo) Precautions

MTRJ75

Missed my last endo because the prep (can't drink water for 12 hours) dehydrated me and made me really sick. 

Time flew by after that with a nice flare, then COVID, but now I'm told I'm due for everything and because my father died of colon cancer at a relatively young age (first bout was at 60 years old), I really don't have much of a choice. 

For anyone who has gone through this with POTS/Dysautonomia (I've handled a few cleanly prior to this mess), what special precautions do I need to take to make it through this? 

@MTRJ75 I have had several EGDs that required NPO status without any problems, but they always gave me IV fluids prior to the procedure. I have done fine with colonoscopies as long as I got IV fluids as well. I did have one of those send-out tests instead of a colonoscopy before but that will not apply to you if you have a family history of colon cancer. 

The only thing I know they always d for me ( because of my dysautonomia diagnosis ) is IV fluids, so you may want to suggest that prior to the procedure. Best of Luck!

19 hours ago, MTRJ75 said:

but I'm wondering if they'll allow IV before since they don't even want me to drink water.

I would talk to your Doc. Not sure what anesthesia is going to be used but my butt cam procedures came with a IV. Water and even gelatin is allowed for this procedure.

Might ask if you can hang out for a hour or so while on the IV.  

They should put you on IV fluids as soon as you arrive for the procedure.  I think these days they do that for everyone anyway, but if you let them know you are especially prone to problems with dehydration they should make sure to start you on IV fluids right away.  I have been through colonoscopy twice plus bowel surgery bc unfortunately cancer was found on my routine first colonoscopy (total shock--no risk factors particularly).  I was scared of the prep etc bc of POTS however it did not worsen POTS for me.  Oh also bc they were aware I have POTS, they didn't rush me out the door either, they gave me a little more time to recover and stay on IV fluids a little longer.

This is all good to know. I've never been offered IV with the procedure before and despite waking up extremely thirsty each time, was only allowed ice chips. Not even a cup of water. 

I'll be sure to let them know I'll probably need a place to lie down as soon as I arrive and that a number of people with similar conditions have strongly recommended IV fluids. 

Thanks all.