Barium Swallow Test

Knellie

Hey guys! 

I have had stomach issues for a while but more recently have had bad reflux. I mentioned it to my doctor and he recommended a barium swallow test. Has anyone had this before? Did the Barium make you nauseous? Did it actually show any good results, and how long did it take? Thanks!!

I had this done twice and years ago too. Mine were both swallow tests. So they put barium on a graham cracker, then mixed in applesauce, etc., so not sure its exactly the same test as you are getting but I didn't have any issues with the barium and the whole test was quick--maybe 10 minutes max.

I've had a few of them. The barium tastes like chalk and makes your poo a funny pale color later.  Now they give you something called "pop rocks" which help expand your belly so they can get a better look at any abnormalities if there are any. Just an FYI, they will make you belch like a drunken sailor while they tell you not to belch. I found it hilarious because it's impossible not to belch.  If you don't have a lot of trouble with nausea and vomiting, it's a very easy test. Swallow the chalk and they take pictures.  That's it.  Hope that helps...

Hello Knellie, I had a barium swallow exam a few years ago. I had no problems at all during the exam and it did show some minor concerns. Overall, it was a breeze and was complete in less than an hour. The thing I remember most about it was that the radiologist was really nice and discussed the findings with me afterwards.