Blood Glucose Food Testing

MikeO

Well decided to start testing various food effects on my blood glucose after having yet another frustrating encounter with a medical professional. Last week my CGM data was gone over with me (yes i am diabetic) but when i brought up when i should test after eating that's were the conversation suddenly went fuzzy. The trainer just cited the 2hr mark which is just fine (for some foods) but my numbers clearly spiked at the 1hr mark and depending what i ate will stay high or crash by the 90 minute mark.

I did comment as to what is really being tested, finding my best numbers at all times or avoiding the damaging high spikes. (298) by no means is low or normal for a nondiabetic. The subject then changed to eating healthy and the trainer cited oatmeal as a healthy food, Haha i then pointed out that i went from 310 in 1hr down to 65 at the 90 minute mark. 

So for now my plan is to get aggressive with testing foods to find what works for me and does not. I did pickup testing supplies at the local big store super center. Prices are a fraction of the cost and the BGM readings are right in line with my expensive insurance paid BGM.

This mornings test was:

two pieces of white bread toasted buttered (25 carbs) and two hard boiled eggs.

1hr mark was 156 and the 90 min mark was 145. this one will work!

Was the trainer referring to GI (glycemic index) in labelling oatmeal as a healthy food? I'm not an expert in this area, but I recently watched a program about this subject in which an expert (probably an endocrinologist) pointed out that diabetics need to be looking at their total carbohydrate intake, and that GI being high or low was irrelevant in that particular calculation.

Glad to hear peanut butter and toast worked out. That is my breakfast of choice!

And it may be a coincidence but porridge for breakfast seems to worsen my symptoms, which is sad because I am part Scottish. (I can eat it later in the day with no trouble.)

10 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

Was the trainer referring to GI (glycemic index) in labelling oatmeal as a healthy food?

The trainer just pointed out that oatmeal was healthy and i am sure it is but just not for my glucose levels. Some of the other foods we discussed (snack wise) did not make sense as well like having a handful of grapes will spike my blood sugar as well. What does work is getting the right meal combo or snack that works for me. I am sure peanut butter will be my go to food.

Here is this mornings breakfast test.

1.5 cups of hash browns, two scrambled eggs wrapped in a spring roll wrapper and a tablespoon of 50% reduced sugar ketchup (36 carbs total)

Starting reading: 104

1 Hr reading: 187

This combo is not so good as i did go over goal

well did the snack test. Consisted of a few triscuits with peanut butter and a few saltines with cheese. The cheese and crackers i was told not to do. I disagree.

Total carbs was 25

Snack reading was: 112

1 hr later: 114

Wonder why the cheese and saltines are the first to go out of the panrty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So interesting on this topic - 

Plant-Based Diet for Diabetes: What About Carbs? - Center for Nutrition Studies

An excerpt - 

Plant-based dietary patterns are associated with increased insulin sensitivity, not higher blood sugar.[1] This means the body is able to move sugar out of the blood and into cells more efficiently, where it’s used to make energy.[2] Also, the fiber in whole plant foods slows the release of sugar as food is metabolized, preventing the blood sugar spikes associated with low-fiber refined carbohydrates.

Overweight and obese individuals who adopt whole food, plant-based diets can also benefit from losing excess weight, which in turn increases insulin sensitivity. Keeping insulin at reasonable levels regulates hunger by allowing leptin, the satiety hormone, to trigger feelings of fullness.[3] Combined with fiber’s satiating effects, this can prevent overeating and make it easier to maintain a healthy weight. Weight loss combined with plant-based eating patterns may also reduce the amount of fat stored in the liver[4]—an independent risk factor for type 2 diabetes.[5]

These effects may be why carbohydrates from plant-based foods are usually shown to be protective against diabetes when compared to highly refined carbohydrates.[6]

Really hope this helps. Sending very best wishes to you Mike.  

Wow, just heard this about legumes and pulses - SO cool! 

They do a mighty job of helping with blood sugar control. 

If new to beans, build up slowly to allow the digestion to adjust.

Well worth trying canned chickpeas, peas, lentils, aduki, black beans, flageolet etc in the hope they help. Some ideas - 

Mashed frozen green / tinned yellow split peas on toast, preferably wholemeal. 

Flageolet beans in leaf salad with olive oil (and cider vinegar if tolerated). 

Roasted chickpeas (just minimal oil and salt) are delish! 

If suited, dash of cider vinegar / lemon with them to aid digestion.  

@Looking_for_lightThe interesting thing in my case is I deal with the opposite. I have non-diabetic reactive hypoglycemia. It usually happens after breakfast, but before lunch. Intermittent fasting has pretty much taken it away but maybe once every 3 months I’ll have an episode. My sugars are rarely high and I think they are on the lower end to be honest. I don’t go higher than 130 very often. I think it’s my liver doing it but the docs don’t agree, as usual!

• 3 weeks later...