Sleep and waking up too hot.

Lily

Hi there!  I haven't posted in quite a while, but I'm back because I would like to know if anyone has information that will help me with sleep.  I fall asleep easily, but often wake up after about 4 hours.  After about a minute I realize that I feel way too hot.  Usually it takes at least 90 minutes to fall back to sleep, and that sleep is usually light and fragmented.  Does this sound like a POTS-related pattern to anyone?  If so, can you point me toward resources that will explain the mechanism?

Hey @LilyYes i do often have my sleep interrupted by what i call the (2 AM Hot Flashes) when i do get up out of bed i am always lightheaded and when i take my Blood Pressure it is low or low'ish .

I really can't que in more than this outside of experiencing the way too hot episodes myself.

Hope this helps!  

I'm seriously considering embracing it and converting to a biphasic sleep schedule. Plan for 4 hours of sleep, then 1.5 hours of awake time in which I engage in mental prayer and rosary, and then another 4-hour sleep period. The down side is that I will need about 10 hours of bed time to account for the wakefulness period. Has anyone else tried this? I read that the medieval Europeans slept like this, and it is why monks and nuns had a Liturgy of the Hours session in the middle of the night.

19 hours ago, Lily said:

I'm seriously considering embracing it and converting to a biphasic sleep schedule. Plan for 4 hours of sleep, then 1.5 hours of awake time in which I engage in mental prayer and rosary, and then another 4-hour sleep period. The down side is that I will need about 10 hours of bed time to account for the wakefulness period. Has anyone else tried this? I read that the medieval Europeans slept like this, and it is why monks and nuns had a Liturgy of the Hours session in the middle of the night.

i haven't tried it, however I have heard this is an actual thing.  I believe doctor mike on youtube has a video that touches on this.  it isnt as beneficial as the full 7-9 hours but you arent getting that anyway.  might as well make good use of the time :') whenever I wake in the middle of the night (rarely) i do the same

I also experience this daily - the hot flash upon waking and being awake for an hour or more in the middle of the night. I think both are probably related to the normal circadian rhythm of hormone release at night, at least that is what my endocrinologist suggested to me. He thinks I am super sensitive to the release of catecholamines. I suspect the normal break in my sleep cycle causes a release of catecholamines, resulting in vasodilation, the subsequent hot flash, and then my PVCs always start going once the hot flash hits. I haven't found anything that helps yet. I didn't have this when I first started having symptoms, but rather it appeared after a few months and hasn't gone away. This has been going on for about a year now. But, this isn't my worst issue -- the constant PVCs are my worst symptom. Now I am getting them 1 of every 5 or 10 heart beats despite change beta blockers and adding florinef. I'm completely miserable at the moment 😢😫

25 minutes ago, DysautonmiaMatt said:

New PCP ordered Echo and neck artery ultrasound and told me to stop Lexapro completely.

Hope your Carotid echo comes out good. I have a horror story of what can happen if you have issues with them. Glad to hear your new PCP recommends coming off the SSRI. Like always the ssri's do have their place if really needed but are better off avoiding them when you can. 

@DysautonmiaMatt -- I second what @MikeO said, glad to hear the new doc said to stop the Lexapro. Hopefully that will help settle things down for you! And, I'm going to try supplementing with potassium that I got from CVS today (potassium gluconate) and will see what happens. You and I have similar issues so hopefully the potassium will help me too! 

My most recent 2 week Holter was done in May of this year. At that time my total PVC burden was <1%, but at certain times of the day (especially at night b/w 10pm and 6am), my PVC burden climbed to 5-10%. I asked my EP if this was sufficient for an ablation and he said no b/c there still weren't enough PVCs to map the problem location appropriately. But, I know my current burden at times is b/w 10-20% b/c I will catch 5 PVCs in a 30 second Kardia trace, which is nearing 20% of my total beats. Lately, I will be trying to go to sleep and I will be in and out of bigeminy until I fall asleep. It is just horrible.

@JennKay @DysautonmiaMatt I would like to remind you - and everyone else that is considering taking OTC potassium supplements - that this medication should be taken with caution, and therapy needs to be monitored by a physician. Both too much and too little potassium can be fatal, since it can have serious effects on the heart. Please note also that - if you take potassium for palpitations or tachycardia - high levels of potassium can lead to palpitations and arrhythmias, low levels can lead to bradycardia and other abnormal rhythms. It would be advisable to have your blood tested for basic potassium levels prior to beginning therapy as well as during therapy.