Leg Massage/Compression Devices

Does anyone have any experience with leg massage sleeves - the type that velcro on your thigh/calves/feet and then pump air to provide active compression?  Some have heat.  Presently looking at a model called "ReAthlete".  I get some relief from self massage while wearing thigh high socks.  Just thinking that cycling compression might retrain those little valves in my legs. 

Thanks

@mehaller - I am not sure but I know that those things are mostly used to prevent blood clots from forming when inactive, like after surgery etc. I am not sure if they would retrain the valves, since it is an impassive thing. You might be better off doing exercises to strengthen your muscle pump ( that helps the veins to pump the blood upward, towards the heart ) than using a device such as this. 

I use sequential compression devices on my whole legs in the evenings. They definitely help me feel better. It’s just that I have to be laying in bed and can’t move, even to the point where I can’t turn them on and off on my own. My BP is very low and I have blood pooling, so it kind of milks the blood up. Exercise is better, but I can’t exercise nonstop…. 

Thanks all for the comments.  I don't expect miracles.  I am just trying to get an edge on exercise - which so far ... meh.  I did have a great day last week where I was able to spend an hour in the garden with only one feet-up respite in a zero-gravity chair.  Very encouraging.  But, the next day I was wiped, and it's on those days that I feel I could get some value from the sequential foot/calf/thigh compression sleeves.  

I still don't have a dx yet, awaiting tilt table and other autonomic tests.  I will say that my orthstatic BP tests are showing an improvement in HR bumps, down from mid 30s to mid 20s.  Water and salt are all that I've been advised to take pending the painfully long awaited Autonomic battery of tests.  It seems all those specialty labs are swamped - long haul covid folks seem to share a lot of POTS symptoms - so I am told by the few who would speak. I know I am better off than many folks with POTS - I can still manage a shower, and kitchen detail for ten minutes at a crack, needing only five minutes off my feet to venture back to cooking for the two of us.   I need to figure out if I can get better enough to get back outside - my sweetie has taken on all the maintenance tasks, and that isn't sustainable for her either.  

@RecipeForDisaster, can you share which brand of sequential leg sleeve system you use.  Also, none that I looked at nor the myria of useful "un-boxing lookie what I bought" youtube reviews really describe the sequential aspect.  Does yours cycle from bottom to top over X minutes, or is it just at initial inflation?

Thanks again for the responses.

17 hours ago, mehaller said:

I did have a great day last week where I was able to spend an hour in the garden with only one feet-up respite in a zero-gravity chair.  Very encouraging.  But, the next day I was wiped, and it's on those days that I feel I could get some value from the sequential foot/calf/thigh compression sleeves.  

@mehaller - unfortunately that is very common for us. When I feel well i am so thrilled to be able to do something that I try and cramp too much into my little activity window. On the good days I still have to will myself to take it easy and still do I usually end up in bed for a day or two after wards. 

18 hours ago, mehaller said:

Thanks all for the comments.  I don't expect miracles.  I am just trying to get an edge on exercise - which so far ... meh.  I did have a great day last week where I was able to spend an hour in the garden with only one feet-up respite in a zero-gravity chair.  Very encouraging.  But, the next day I was wiped, and it's on those days that I feel I could get some value from the sequential foot/calf/thigh compression sleeves.  

I still don't have a dx yet, awaiting tilt table and other autonomic tests.  I will say that my orthstatic BP tests are showing an improvement in HR bumps, down from mid 30s to mid 20s.  Water and salt are all that I've been advised to take pending the painfully long awaited Autonomic battery of tests.  It seems all those specialty labs are swamped - long haul covid folks seem to share a lot of POTS symptoms - so I am told by the few who would speak. I know I am better off than many folks with POTS - I can still manage a shower, and kitchen detail for ten minutes at a crack, needing only five minutes off my feet to venture back to cooking for the two of us.   I need to figure out if I can get better enough to get back outside - my sweetie has taken on all the maintenance tasks, and that isn't sustainable for her either.  

@RecipeForDisaster, can you share which brand of sequential leg sleeve system you use.  Also, none that I looked at nor the myria of useful "un-boxing lookie what I bought" youtube reviews really describe the sequential aspect.  Does yours cycle from bottom to top over X minutes, or is it just at initial inflation?

Thanks again for the responses.

Mine are medical ones, Circulflow 5150 model. They can be set in many different ways. It does cycle from toes to thighs over the time you set. I actually got them on eBay because I think DMEs only rent them.  

It makes me recover faster when I’m close to passing out, and feels good when I’m laying down. I just wish they were lighter or more portable, because I’d have them on any time I’m stationary. They are upstairs, so I can’t use them while I’m working or anything. I don’t think I can use them sitting, either, because they straighten my legs. They have saved me from losing consciousness several times. It’s like elevating your legs, but much better. I am too exhausted from putting 40mmHg compression stockings on, even thought they do help once on. Less than that doesn’t help enough. I still think this is more powerful, but less convenient. 

11 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Mine are medical ones, Circulflow 5150 model. They can be set in many different ways. It does cycle from toes to thighs over the time you set. I actually got them on eBay because I think DMEs only rent them.  

It makes me recover faster when I’m close to passing out, and feels good when I’m laying down. I just wish they were lighter or more portable, because I’d have them on any time I’m stationary. They are upstairs, so I can’t use them while I’m working or anything. I don’t think I can use them sitting, either, because they straighten my legs. They have saved me from losing consciousness several times. It’s like elevating your legs, but much better. I am too exhausted from putting 40mmHg compression stockings on, even thought they do help once on. Less than that doesn’t help enough. I still think this is more powerful, but less convenient. 

Thanks - this helps.