Salt intake

Hi, Everyone.

POTS question here. My electrocardiologist told me to increase salt intake as much as my neuro otolaryngologist will allow. Problem is that I have been on a low sodium diet for several years and I am having a hard time adjusting to eating salt. I am raising the question here in preparation for talking to both of my doctors about this. I was wondering if there was any problem with mixing a tsp of Kosher salt into a glass of water and drinking it. Is there a reason people turn to sodium tablets instead of using salt? I can't see that it would be that different to the body than putting as much salt into food. Any thoughts or experiences on this would be helpful.

Thanks. 

Dr. Satish Raj often suggests salt over salt tablets and advises putting however many grams you are going to take a day into a baggie at the beginning of the day, using it on your food as you go.  He also mentioned in one talk that I heard that his younger patients like to make and take 'salt shots' which would be exactly what you are asking about.  

I personally found them a bit nauseating but tolerable.  I think we all have trial various ways of getting the salt down and come up with what works best for us.  I can't imagine that your plan wouldn't be worth trying.

@MeAgain... - how much salt you are to consume should be determined by your physician. I personally do not tolerate salt tablets but I do well with using a lot of salt in my diet and eating salty foods such a pickles, pretzels and drinking broth. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have found increased salt intake to be very helpful. I take a teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt every morning in a bottle of G2 Gatorade. Lemon-lime and pink lemonade are the best flavors with grape coming in third. I still can not drink salt in water alone. I was also never able to take the salt tabs. I started with very little salt and slowly worked my way up to the teaspoon, which is around 2800-3000mg of sodium. I have found this to be the sweet spot for me. I have very low blood pressure, so I'm safe having more sodium than most. I'm looking for an alternative to G2 to ditch the food coloring but so far it's the easiest to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind drinking salty fluids, I have been using LMNT electrolyte powder. I really like the orange salt flavor and raspberry salt is pretty good too.

Each packet has 1000mg of sodium, 200mg potassium, 60 mg magnesium, & zero sugar. I usually mix in a 25oz water bottle but you can use more or less water depending on how salty you want it. I drink one per day but possibly 2 if I am having a rough day & think my stomach can handle it.

The downside is that they are pretty spendy, but sample packs are cheaper on their website.. Before finding these, I used Drip Drop in orange & grape flavors. I still like those better than most electrolyte drinks, but I prefer a non-sweet option most of the time.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am finding th electrolyte drink mixes challenging as I have to avoid artificial sweeteners and colors due to a different medical condition. Same goes for "natural flavor" which can be another name for MSG. Lately I have been adding salt to natural apple sauce, but I am still not getting enough.