Ranolazine Experiences

MikeO

Hi

Yesterday my Dr put me on Ranolazine. It is used for chronic angina which is not new to me even after my bypass surgery (my RCA could not be fixed) so, back then i was put on isosorbide which aggravated my hypotension so i eventually was taken off of it. What got me a ad hoc meeting with my Cardiologist was some recent episodes of what i thought was a colon spasm (felt ischemic and reached up into my chest). first time i had experienced it was back in october when i transitioned off of metoprolol and on to carvedilol.

So after discussing we don't think i have any colon issues per se (no blood in the stools i will leave it here) but is just angina attacks (they are similar to prior events) so he wants to try Ranolazine for now. His choice for the drug is that it does not affect blood pressure and heart rates. 

Just throwing this out here to see if anyone had taken Ranolazine and can share their experiences with the drug.

Well made it thru day one with nothing bad happening. I did become very lightheaded getting out of bed this morning but the pharmacist said that would happen until i adjusted to the med.

Just wish i knew how the Ranolazine really works all i know is that it is not a vasodilator. Guess next time my cardiologist asks if i have any questions i should speak up.  

Thanks! @PistolI Googled what you wrote and found some interesting studies done with Ranolazine. This did catch my eye.

At the sympathetic perivascular nerve endings, ranolazine may potentially reduce electrical activity and inhibit the release of norepinephrine, in addition to the inhibition of α1-adrenergic receptors, which may also be relevant for the antianginal effects of the drug. The inhibition of cardiac release of norepinephrine may also have favorable effects by reducing cardiac adrenergic stimulation

https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/15/1/31/htm#app1-pharmaceuticals-15-00031

@MikeO THAT'S REALLY INTERESTING! This could potentially be helpful for several of my own symptoms, including Prinzmetal angina and excessive sympathetic activity resylting in high norepinephrine levels! Like you I could not tolerate Isosorbite due to drops in BP. 

More digging into Ranolazine. so far i have seen my heart rate is more stable and my latest GI issues disappeared (stomach is growling again and BM's are back to normal). from what i have read was: and i am not saying  i have heart failure yet is: We discovered that ranolazine (RAN) reduces high sympathetic tone and increases parasympathetic tone in CHF, thereby improving sympathovagal balance (SB), most likely by inhibiting neuronal sodium channel 1.7 (Nav1.7)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5001871/#:~:text=We discovered that ranolazine (RAN,1.7 (Nav1.7). 

Day 7 since starting Ranolazine. I don't think i am going to celebrate anything (i always get burned) but it helped a little bit. Worse side effects so far is a bit of a headache, tinnitus ramped up a little and i do feel a bit weaker at times. Hopefully week two will tone things down.

I did break one of my Dr's rules Monday night and fell asleep laying flat on the couch, next morning i passed out just trying to sit up (frustrating) I just hope it is not due to the new med.

Few more days into the treatment with Ranolazine and i have noticed a substantial change in the unknown chest pain i have been experiencing (much better).

I still have a bit of a headache but is manageable. My GI difficulties so far are completely gone and has not been this good in years (not sure if this is a fluke). I lost two more inches off the round of my waist as well. During a bad flare up the bloating would get bad (48") and now i am at (40").

Down side i am getting more orthostatic symptoms but has been more limited to a postural change. I was in the shop last night and started feeling warm and lightheaded so i knew to quit and get off my feet for a while. Thanks @Pistoli did follow your advice and listened to my body and it worked! 

Well i am on the two week mark taking Ranolazine. So far my headache has cleared up, no mystery GI issues and i am feeling better when i get up in the morning. Down side i have seen a change in my resting blood pressures (77/48) even though my daytime upright readings are pretty stellar (128/87). 

I am sure i will be talking to my Cardiologists nurse yet this week. I see a change in my Amlodipine coming.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:34 AM, MikeO said:

Well i am on the two week mark taking Ranolazine. So far my headache has cleared up, no mystery GI issues and i am feeling better when i get up in the morning. Down side i have seen a change in my resting blood pressures (77/48) even though my daytime upright readings are pretty stellar (128/87). 

I am sure i will be talking to my Cardiologists nurse yet this week. I see a change in my Amlodipine coming.

Have you exercised and taken BP readings right away? I thought I was a normal POTS patient until I started monitoring that and found my BP was 208/160 when I walked briskly across house. The strange thing is it’s not predictable. Some days my BP is 65/43 lying down and others it’s normal. Curious for any updates you have on ranolazine…

23 minutes ago, Susanna said:

Have you exercised and taken BP readings right away?

Yes, when i was recently in Cardio Rehab the nurses would take a exercising BP and then have you stop and would take another reading most times i would stay the same but some we would see a reduction in pressures (20-30 mmHg)

29 minutes ago, Susanna said:

I thought I was a normal POTS patient until I started monitoring that and found my BP was 208/160 when I walked briskly across house. The strange thing is it’s not predictable. Some days my BP is 65/43 lying down and others it’s normal.

From what i keep reading it is not uncommon for folks with dysautonomia (POTS) to have labile swings in blood pressures. I too have the unpredictable readings you just described. This morning my just out of bed readings were 94/64 and right now i am stuck at 175/105 just after putting on my shoes. This will change as the day goes on.

39 minutes ago, Susanna said:

Curious for any updates you have on ranolazine

Well i can tell you that it has helped with my angina also for whatever reason my GI issues have cleared up 4 days after starting the drug. Down side i suspect it has caused a few more syncope episodes (i did read that this can happen in a small number of people) One of the reasons my Cardiologist chose it is supposedly it does not affect HR and BP.

I think for now i am on the fence with Ranolazine i will see how the next several weeks go but so far i have not had any bad side effects outside of the syncope episodes. I am sure these will clear up as i have stopped the Amlodipine for now. 

Thank you…this is helpful and reassuring to know that others have abnormal increases in BP from doing simple things like tying shoes. I think it has helped me with angina but I’m not seeing improvements in POTS or dysautonomia. I find I still have heart fluttering and irregular beats. I am woken up with very low blood pressure episodes. Still looking for the magical cure for labile BP and HR…

Hi @SusannaGlad to hear the Ranolazine might be helping with your heart. When i first went into my clinic and was assessed for my syncope episodes the Dr did come right out and say that trying to control by blood pressure was going to be a (she used a B word). right now we are just focused on finding what will get me into a happy medium so that when my bp drops i don't pass out (my swings can be between 40-70 points).

Are you on any other meds for your POTS?

Well day 30 while taking Ranolazine. So far as i can tell it is working or doing what it should be. down side i can feel the effects of coming off of Amlodipine. Fatigue  has set back in. If i had to start a office pool i would bet on a med change coming down the pipe.

@Pistolyou are spot on as to changes taking a bit of time. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Well it has been around 6 months from when i first started the Ranolazine. I am very pleased with how well the drug has made me feel (been a real game changer). My unknown chest pains have totally cleared up and have not any bad shortness of breath episodes.

I did also have a very good Cardiology visit. My Dr is pleased as to how well i have responded. I am now back on the yearly visit schedule WooHoo! 

• 5 months later...

well one year update. My Cardiologist renewed my prescription for the next year. So far this has been my number one (miracle) drug. My unknown chest pains for the most part have been in remission. One thing that was noted is my Blood Pressure swings and diastolic pressure have improved (has me puzzled a bit) I did read somewhere that Ranolazine improves the hearts diastolic stretch among other things. I just hope this continues to improve.

1732407314_1-31MedMHealthPortal.thumb.jpg.de91df1d0f089c085fdca0239ea5bc1e.jpg