Bradycardia with pots (and PAC’s)

shasta43

For as long as I can remember I would get bradycardia with sleeping and resting. I thought it was due to being in shape.. for a long time it probably was and still is. However now when. I am bradycardia I will develop PAC’s at night. Lots of times these happen in succession follow e by a pause.. I have never really been attacked in my sleep or at rest like this.. it’s as if there is an area in my heart that does not like going that slow and tries to fire.. anyone had any similar experiences ? Bradycardia with dysautonomia / frequent pac’s

I had Bradycardia and tachycardia with extreme PVC and SVC’s.  22,000 ectopic beats found during a 24 hour halter monitoring.

Cardiologist and I Tried many drugs but finally hit on Propafenone, works great for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@shasta43 - I tend to get more ectopics in the evening. But, I can get them when I take a walk or when I'm working at my desk. I haven't really figured out if they occur more at rest or if I notice them more at rest. They drive me bonkers. I tried beta blockers but that amplified all my other symptoms, so I don't take anything for them at the moment. Sometimes I find that increasing my potassium helps decrease the frequency of the ectopics. And, I use a magnesium supplement (Natural Calm) that really calms down my nerves at night. The magnesium doesn't fully eliminate the ectopics, but it helps a little.

36 minutes ago, JennKay said:

@shasta43 - I tend to get more ectopics in the evening. But, I can get them when I take a walk or when I'm working at my desk. I haven't really figured out if they occur more at rest or if I notice them more at rest. They drive me bonkers. I tried beta blockers but that amplified all my other symptoms, so I don't take anything for them at the moment. Sometimes I find that increasing my potassium helps decrease the frequency of the ectopics. And, I use a magnesium supplement (Natural Calm) that really calms down my nerves at night. The magnesium doesn't fully eliminate the ectopics, but it helps a little.

Oh, I am also relying on potassium and magnesium,  because beta blockers and similar tend to give me extra/new symptoms.

I was having a bad season of bradycardia since november and mid january, I was not used to it,  I was in so much discomfort,  anxiety,  trouble standing or even sitting,  pretty much fear of my heart stopping or passing out while resting (so unlikely... in fact the heart fills with more blood, thus my spo2 was in all time high leves 98-100). 
The thing is I caught COVID in late january,  and for some kind of reason my POTS/Dysautonomia symptoms disappeared for a while,  and then they came back (d'oh),  but no more bradycardia,  I am left again with my usual symptoms (high HR,  93-96 spo2, stomach issues and a huge etc) but after 8 years of the same symptoms I can manage them easily,  new symptoms, no thanks, I was so depressed.    The downside is that my holter and echo date was delayed thus I will probably get them done without the symptoms I was having before being asked to get them done,  still worth checking them!,  I haven't got any of them since I got diagnosed in 2015.

Now, in November my bradycardia symptoms improved for about 2 or 3 weeks after receiving (by protocol/coincidence) a common saline IV.  I will ask my new cardiologist about it later next month.

@MikeO- It depends on the brand. In my experience, if it isn't overly processed (e.g. no added flavors), then it usually doesn't have a coconut taste. But, it does have a distinct taste that I didn't care for at first. I'm good with it now. It is slightly sweet and I find it very refreshing when chilled. You can add it to smoothies or drink it out of the box over ice. I've been drinking Vita Coco lately. I think one small box with 2 servings has 20% of the recommended daily potassium and only 90 calories. I'm pretty sure that is more potassium than a banana.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2021 at 4:43 PM, shasta43 said:

For as long as I can remember I would get bradycardia with sleeping and resting. I thought it was due to being in shape.. for a long time it probably was and still is. However now when. I am bradycardia I will develop PAC’s at night. Lots of times these happen in succession follow e by a pause.. I have never really been attacked in my sleep or at rest like this.. it’s as if there is an area in my heart that does not like going that slow and tries to fire.. anyone had any similar experiences ? Bradycardia with dysautonomia / frequent pac’s

Yep, I get the same randomly sometimes. It's Premature Junctional Contractions, basically a PAC with a pause. I get them in singles, couplets, triplets and runs. They suck but harmless. Obviously get them checked by a cardiologist etc.

• 4 weeks later...