Is It Normal to Feel Hot or Sweat After Eating?

MikeO

Not sure if feeling hot or sweating after eating is a symptom of Dysautonomia but this has been dogging me for years. It would be so bad i would be soaking wet. The last year or so i have noticed i have not been sweating as bad as i use to but this still happens regardless.

Eating the small 6 meals a day helps but, the the occasion when i feel good and go for a large portion this gets me every time.

Anyone else have this experience?

@MikeO - I used to have temperature changes after eating as well, though I would get cold. My sister would be freezing after she ate when she was younger too. I don't know what could help it. I'm assuming its just your nervous system freaking out due to food. If you have gastro problems as well that would make sense that your body just isn't good at responding to those kinds of things. I'm sorry this happens to you, it sounds pretty miserable. I hope that gets better!

7 hours ago, Knellie said:

I'm assuming its just your nervous system freaking out due to food.

@Knellie thats exactly it! The ANS responds to eating by activating the parasympathetic NS, which slows everything down to allow all of the energy to go to the GI tract. Mostly that causes sleepiness and everything slows down. But in dysautonomia this can lead to all kinds of abnormal responses - for some it is sweating, others freezing, others yet it can lead to the sympathetic NS overcompensating and causing adrenaline surges etc. For me eating large meals or carbs will lead to overstimulation ( kind of a fight-or-flight reaction ). The only way I can prevent this from happening is to either avoid big, rich meals or by lying down after a meal. I prefer to avoid big meals and only eat smaller, more frequent portions. That helps me a lot to avoid the unpleasant dysautonomia symptmos related to food!