What does the term no significant mean on a medical test

MikeO

Here is an example of what is see frequently.

There was not any significant pause or abnormal heart rhythm. I have seen this on other tests as well. To me this statement seems a bit confusing or cryptic. I would think the Medical community would use (there was NO pause or abnormal heart rhythm) if what was seen was completely normal. In the past i have had some anxiety over the terminology (thinking there was an issue just not enough to act on at the moment)

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

There was not any significant pause or abnormal heart rhythm.

@MikeO - doctors use this term frequently when describing test results like EKG or xrays. It means that there MAY have been or were pauses or abnormalities but type or length are not important. For example: whenever you have a premature beat it is followed by a short pause, for the heart to resume the normal rhythm. Theoretically this could be interpreted as a pause but is of no consequence. So in that scenario the interpreting physician would use the term " no significant pause ". Same if there were sinus tachycardia or premature beats - both considered harmless, it would say "no significant abnormalities". It should be reassuring rather than worrying! 

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

It should be reassuring rather than worrying!

Hi @Pistolas usual your explanation is very Promising :) (had to throw that term in). I did not trust my last Cardio team so i am sure i get a bit nervous when i see term like "no significant". I should learn to trust my new team so far they have had my back. On my ILR report from my latest event they did use the no significant term which i am sure is a valid response and there is nothing to worry about.

The Cardiologist also did note the steady increase in tachycardia starting 8 minutes prior to and up to when i went down. For that i am thankful for just validates what i have been complaining about.