Tetanus booster

angelloz

12 years ago I had a tetanus booster. I was 50 years old. Two days later began my journey with autonomic dysfunction.  It took about 6 years to improve and get some of my life back. I now need my booster again. I know there is no way to know for certain that the booster was the cause of my autonomic dysfunction. I am scared however. I don’t think I can go through those early years again. I was bed bound etc.  My doctors cannot promise that there is no correlation. I live on a farm and often get cuts. Any thoughts? 

I believe you can ask your doctor for a tdap titer to check your current immunity level. If you are still immune, you can put off getting a booster.

Vaccinations are designed to stimulate the immune system. This is fine in most people, but we all have different genetic predispositions. Dr. Grubb has done research indicating POTS may be autoimmune in nature. It sounds like it's wise to be cautious in your case. 

Well after autonomic symptoms appeared I got a TDaP, Boostrix, vaccine which contains immunization against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis in 2016 after I fainted and had to have stitches for a gash over my eye. I asked for a "plain" tetanus shot and the hospital pharmacist did try to find one but the only thing available anywhere then was the 3-in-1 vaccine. I didn’t have any problems with this vaccine. I get gashed frequently working with cats, in the garden, and around the house and enjoy not worrying about tetanus. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure why, but right after my first (and last) tetanus shot the worst 7 years of my life begun,  I don't know what it is about vaccines (perhaps heavy metals, aluminum) that may be damaging our nervous system.  But in 7 years I've been trapped in my own house with several dysautonomic symptoms.

IDK what to tell you but I until recently lived on a farm and I'd been due for a tetanus booster for quite a while. I only got one when I had an injury that warranted it. FWIW I didn't have any reaction I can remember. Maybe that's an option if you're really worried? 

Clostridium tetani like all the Clostridium species is an anaerobe meaning it can't grow in an environment with oxygen. However the spores can which is why you can get it in the normal environment. So once the spores have gotten into a skin break, it normally takes a fairly deep wound for it to be able to grow well after that without oxygen getting to it. As in a superficial scratch would be hard for it to grow in. 

I'm pretty discriminating about what vaccines I get and weigh the risks vs benefit.