TILT Training

MikeO

I was going through some of the non-pharmacologic measures that can be done to help out with orthostatic hypotension and stumbled on a technique of using tilt training to build up orthostatic tolerances. Started thinking It's kinda of a coincidence that a number of years back i started (subconsciencly) leaning up against things like door jams, walls, car etc.... 

Not sure what dysautonomia condition this is intended to help but, seems like i have done a better job at tolerating being upright than i did years ago.

My biggest crash was in 2014 , BP would run at 60/40 most of the time I felt dreadful all the time and was so dizzy I crawled around on my hands and knees ! I read about this and started at 1 minute at a time as often during as I could increasing the time as much as I could . It was tough but I believe it helped to literally get me back upright . 
After a while I found I could be upright as long as I was moving and not standing still . 
good luck ! 

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@MikeO - this certainly can help, but I believe it requires complete dedication. I t did help me. 

Oh @Pistoland as @dancer65mentioned it does help. Just did not realize i was doing this subconsciencly. 2014 was bad for me and had numerous issues with hitting the floor. too this day i still do this. This has helped not sure what i have adjusted to but i can handle a drop in BP much better. As @dancer mentioned i do as well need to keep moving.

@MikeO - when I first started to pass out from POTS I noticed that I had done countermeasures for a long time subconsciously. I would always cross my legs, walk holding on to a wall and lean against a wall while standing. In retrospect I realize that the POTS symptoms had been around for a long, long time and I had compensated for it all along. 

I don't want to pour cold water on this theory but I tried it for a couple of months and it didn't have any effect on me.  I could stand for longer propped against a wall than I could in an open space but I wasn't really able to increase the amount of time I could stand before becoming symptomatic.  Some days I could do longer than others but consistent improvements - nope!  I have POTS because of hEDS and I don't know if that was the reason I saw little benefit - I'm not sure that tilt training can do much for stretchy veins!  What I found much more help was exercises to build leg and especially calf muscle, improving the return of blood to the upper body.  I'm not saying don't try it - it won't do you any harm and from what others have said it may help you but don't get too downhearted if it doesn't work for you.