Tips to stimulate appetite and lower nausea

Hello everyone, I have been struggling to eat for a while and the constant lack of food in my system is making my symptoms worse. Have any of you figured out how to calm the sensation down of feeling uneasy eating? It’s as though it will induce the need to vomit and the throat tightens a bit. It’s quite a nuisance. I’m hoping there’s a supplement that can help. I was taking a valerian based calming supplement but it didn’t do anything so I concluded it wasn’t anxiety related and just another POTS issue. I know we all have a variety of symptoms that cover a large spectrum but I thought I would ask in the event that any of you struggle with this too. Thanks!

@CDNPortGrl - my dysautonomia GI symptoms are mostly GERD, IBS and nausea. I - for the most part - got these under control with Zofran ODT and GERD meds, as well as avoiding big meals but rather eating frequent snacks. I also do better when not drinking while eating - I drink after eating. 

@Pistol this is helpful, thank you! At the end of the month, I’ll be prescribed something for the type of gastritis I have once the biopsy is analyzed  so perhaps that will help. In the meantime I’ll try to drink after eating. That’s interesting about the Zofran. I can see how it helps. I’ll ask my doctor about it. 

I couldn't manage without Zofran.   Eating used to be a pleasure - now it is just something I endure as I struggle to keep a healthy weight.  I am constantly nauseous and if I take Zofran 30-60 minutes before I eat the nausea subsides enough to allow me to eat.  For the last 5 years I have retched and vomited most days after meals (for some reason lunch is worst) or when I have been talking a lot or laughing.  It started one day out of the blue and is one of my worst symptoms - it is mortifying going to eat out when you start to retch in the middle of a meal.   After a lot of tests and visits to several gastroenterologists, they have concluded that it is caused by my rapidly rising HR stimulating my vagus nerve and triggering the gag reflex.  Unfortunately knowing what causes it hasn't led to them being able to treat it!  Zofran is the only thing that has helped - it gives me an extra 5-10 minutes before the retching starts which doesn't sound like much but is often the difference between being able to retch in private and vomiting at the table!  One of my most embarrassing experiences was lying on the floor of a very posh restaurant, vomiting into a ice bucket as I mistimed things really badly and didn't manage to leave the table in time!

Other things that help me are ginger or peppermint tea, sucking boiled sweets, eating plain crackers - the same things you'd suggest to a pregnant lady with bad morning sickness really!  I also take my time when eating and chew every mouthful well - if I swallow too big a bite or rush my food I will gag!  I love soup and yoghurt as they slip down more easily - big heavy meals full of carbs are my nightmare!  Unlike @Pistol I find drinking a lot with my food helps - we are all different!

I think ti would be important to identify the cause of your nausea, as we are all so different on this forum.  Are you measuring your HR and BP when the nausea is happening?  Do you have any food insentivities or allergies?  Is it the volume of food that's bothering you?  For me often I have to drink lots of fluids before I eat. Ginger ale is always good or peppermint tea.  There are also wristbands people buy for pregnancy which are electronic which work well to counter nausea.