Need help with acne!

CallieAndToby

So my hormonal imbalance has caused terrible acne and my skin is very sensitive. I could never use most natural things and for awhile I could use an aloe vera acne gel that was all natural but last time it burned my skin. I use very delicate soap for sensitive skin when bathing but doesn't help with acne. Any tips? 

55 minutes ago, sitcedar said:

Also, are you getting enough sleep, water? Not eating too much sweets? All of these could contribute to acne breakouts as well.

My testosterone is extremely high and they think Have either PCOS or ADRENAL hyperplasia so with those two disease one of the main visible symptoms is acne. 

4 hours ago, CallieAndToby22 said:

My testosterone is extremely high and they think Have either PCOS or ADRENAL hyperplasia so with those two disease one of the main visible symptoms is acne. 

Ah I’m so sorry! That sounds rough. Have they tested your cortisol? 

I imagine they’ll discuss hormone balanced BCP with you if it’s PCOS. Sometimes it can help with hormonal acne (the cystic kind around the jawline).

In terms of routines, I have had great success with using various serums from Deceim (affordable) as well as mild cleanser and moisturizer from Cetaphil or Cera Ve. I think the most important thing to do is to treat your face like a sterile surgical field and not touch it, ensure anything that comes into contact with it is clean (pillow case, wash cloth, towel - I don’t even towel-dry my face anymore because I worry it’ll irritate my skin and cause a breakout). Additionally, make sure that you’re letting your skin air dry before applying your moisturizer so that it can breathe before you’re putting on a bit of a barrier. I also put my hair up at night so that my hair doesn’t irritate my face. A clean, hot, damp wash cloth applied to wherever the acne is located can help sometimes if it’s cystic but can also be triggering for POTS so I guess just be careful with that suggestion. The most important thing to remember is that the hormone balance isn’t the only thing causing the breakouts, it’s the thing that is making you more susceptible to them so you have to be extra vigilant about skincare routine if you want to prevent them. It’s more about prevention than treatment. 

If you’re having worse breakouts because of your cloth face mask wearing during the day (I am), it might be helpful to dip them in some very hot water to clean them instead of using any harsh detergents, and definitely don’t wear any makeup underneath. I’ve also seen little guard type plastic pieces that are supposed to tent out the mask a bit and help with your skin’s breathability/level of moisture.

• 3 months later...