Skin lesions and dysautonomia

POTSie78

I was born with spina bifida and have suffered symptoms of dysautonomia for 40+ years.  Last year I was diagnosed with dysautonomia and then this year I was told I have POTS. I get flushing and mottled skin and have noticed now I am getting skin lesions that come and go on my scalp and forehead.  It seems to be spreading down my face and is itchy.  Is there a link between dysautonmia and psoriasis type lesions?  I have been tested for lupus and some other basic autoimmune and inflammatory markers which have all been negative. 

Guest KiminOrlando

There is a link between dysautonomia and autoimmune diseases. Bloodwork doesn't necessarily mean that you are negative. The doctors should really biopsy those spots to see what it is. Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis are both possible, and it sounds like you are on the right track by having someone at Mayo check things out. Are you having any kind of joint pain or inflammation or is it just the lesions?

39 minutes ago, KiminOrlando said:

There is a link between dysautonomia and autoimmune diseases. Bloodwork doesn't necessarily mean that you are negative. The doctors should really biopsy those spots to see what it is. Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis are both possible, and it sounds like you are on the right track by having someone at Mayo check things out. Are you having any kind of joint pain or inflammation or is it just the lesions?

Yes I have pain in my joints and muscle aches. At times I have trouble walking because of the pain in my sacrum and it goes down my legs to the point I can barely lift them.  

Guest KiminOrlando

Be sure to mention that when you are at Mayo. It sounds like you need to see a Rheumatologist. Only a Rheumatologist can rule that stuff out. Bloodwork is only part of the story. I have an autoimmune disease and my bloodwork was negative for years. I was diagnosed with sero-negative Rheumatoid Arthritis. Two other Rheumatologist said I didn't have it. I found one to look at everything and make a clinical diagnosis. A couple of years later my bloodwork turned positive, but it was clear that I had needed the medication years earlier. Primary care physicians aren't equipped to make clinical diagnosis. They typically go straight by the book and most people don't fit textbook cases. I hope Mayo is able to help you.

6 hours ago, KiminOrlando said:

Be sure to mention that when you are at Mayo. It sounds like you need to see a Rheumatologist. Only a Rheumatologist can rule that stuff out. Bloodwork is only part of the story. I have an autoimmune disease and my bloodwork was negative for years. I was diagnosed with sero-negative Rheumatoid Arthritis. Two other Rheumatologist said I didn't have it. I found one to look at everything and make a clinical diagnosis. A couple of years later my bloodwork turned positive, but it was clear that I had needed the medication years earlier. Primary care physicians aren't equipped to make clinical diagnosis. They typically go straight by the book and most people don't fit textbook cases. I hope Mayo is able to help you.

Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely look into this further.