i got the itchies!!

dizzygirl

Hi folks..

how are you all doing??

Well.. I keep breaking out in these rashes all over my arms.stomach and upper back.. and it itches! this has been going on pretty constant for about 2 months or so now.. they are like patches of little red bumps.. and the skin around it is hot and red..

I have been given shots of cotisone.. and been given medrol pack to help relieve it.. and it does not help with the rashes..

I noticed that I seem to get itchier at night.. when I am having apotsy attack.. some i think that it has something to do with my pots..

I have also been on alavert and more recently zyrtec along with beanadrly..to try and treat it and I tell ya nothing is helping.. and I also use aveeno oatmeal soap and lotion.. that soes help the itching alitle..

i see my doc thursday.. so i will see what else I can try for it.

but was wondering if any of you had any pointers till then..

thanks a million

a very itchy dizzygirl :rolleyes:

I've posted about this before, but I'll repeat my regimen for my frequent hives:

singulair

advair

zyrtec

benedryl until I get sleepy--as instructed by my doctor. This can be as much as 4 otc pills every 6 hours for me.

tagamet or zantac otc

(tagamet is actually a different type of histamine blocker, and was suggested by both my allergist and dermatologist to be used during a flare up)

and a topic lotion called Sarna, which is over the counter.

lastly, stay away from getting warm, inlcuding warm bath or shower as it reactivates histamine.

Benadryl also has an anti-itch cream out in the drugstores... not sure if you can get it OTC in the states? You should be able to (but maybe not because I think you need a RX there for Claritin and here it is OTC...) The benadryl cream helps me somewhat and sometimes if I have a particularily bad area I try putting ice on for a while. Gives some short term relief! Laura

I'm with Nina on the Sarna, also a fan of Eucerin Calming Creme, and Eucerin Itch relief moisturizing spray, when my hives pop up sporadically.

When my hives are all over, I take Atarax (prescription) at night, it's also approved for insomnia by the way.

Take Care

-Steph

Ps. do you think the bumps could be caused by excessive sweat? I broke out in rashes after I had the QSART sweat test, in the areas where they shocked me, and my dermatologist said it was a sweat reaction, the bumps were much smaller than hives. But the atarax and lotions seemed to work just as well for them too, since it was a short term problem.

I just wonder what size yours are, my hives turn out like mosquito bites, swelling larger, and spreading, where the bumps caused by the sweat test stayed small and turned a purple-ish color. Have you doc check them out, should probably be different meds for both causes.

benedryl lotion is available otc in the states. However, both my dermatologist and allergist suggest using the Sarna lotion instead, as it is cooling. In my experience, I get more relief from Sarna-- I've tried Aveno, Benedryl creme (in a tube), benedryl spray, and benedryl gel (in a squeeze bottle).

I looked Sarna up on google, and found it for under 10$ at drugstore.com

the ingredients are as follows:

Active Ingredients: Camphor (0.5%), Menthol (0.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer 940, Cetyl Alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance, Glyceryl Stearate, Isopropyl Myristate, PEG-8 Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Petrolatum, Sodium Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Water

The combo of camphor and menthol is quite cooling. Nina

nina- I apologize for the repeat in posting topic.. I did do a search on itching.. but it wont let me open the topic.. it says that it is a fatal error... I think it might be a problem with my computer though..

I will have to look into the sarna.. thanks for all the tips guys!