Low sodium

Guest KiminOrlando

Guest KiminOrlando

I'm having trouble getting the sodium to stay in my body. I'm taking sodium pills, drinking electrolytes and putting salt on food. What is going on here? 

@KiminOrlando - how do you know the salt is not staying in your body - is it from peeing it out? -- I too had the problem that a high-salt diet and lots of fluids went right through me, I had minimal effect from them. That is why I am now on IV fluids - a huge difference from high salt/ high water diet!

Guest KiminOrlando

The sodium levels in my blood are low and concerning to my doctors. I now have my primary, cardio, Rheumatologist, and endocrinologist collaborating to come up with a solution. My urine output doesn't seem to be high, but a 24 hour urine collection may be in my near future.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KiminOrlando

My potassium is normal although I do take prescription potassium and my magnesium is normal. I take 1 mg of salt daily and eat salt in everything. No progress so far. Everybody seems to be confused. I have been on 5 mg of prednisone for about 6 months and I can't help but think that is somehow involved because of adrenals. 

2 hours ago, KiminOrlando said:

My potassium is normal although I do take prescription potassium and my magnesium is normal. I take 1 mg of salt daily and eat salt in everything. No progress so far. Everybody seems to be confused. I have been on 5 mg of prednisone for about 6 months and I can't help but think that is somehow involved because of adrenals. 

So with adrenal insufficiency, which is the reason for my question, there can be decreased serum sodium and increased serum potassium, with urine showing the opposite. And usually increased urine volume. External steroids (in excess), especially those with high mineralocorticoid properties, can raise serum sodium and lower potassium. Five mg of pred daily is within the range for steroid replacement even when the adrenal glands are being suppressed by the external steroid. While prednisone does not have a lot of mineralocorticoid activity, it does have some. Along with a normal aldosterone that should keep electrolytes in range.

How low is your sodium, if you don't mind saying? And why are you taking oral potassium?