Thickening of ventricles

Hi, I am exhausted right now so forgive me if this post is hard to understand. I have finally received a copy of all my med records after my soc.sec. hearing (I won- yay!). Anyway, one of my echos shows several areas of thickening in my heart- specifically my left ventricle. I do know that my cardiac output was normal (low normal). After investigating this myself via the internet, it appears this thickening could be cardiomyopathy. I'm hoping I am oveparanoid and reading way too much into. Any nurses out there understand about this "thickening"? Or... any of you had this dx?

Carmen

PS My mind is on my heart because I see my cardio on FRi.

Sorry I can not really relate to what you are going through, although I wish you the best of luck with your cardio doc. When you finish with your findings please post so that we all can learn and make your bad circuamstances a little more positive by being able to teach others something new.

Sincerely,

Rita s

This is typically called ventricular hypertrophy. It can be found on the internet, but don't get alarmed. It can be very mild. My husband has it and it never bothers him. It is just what it says it is, a thickening of the muscles of the ventricle, just inside the heart, not on the outside, so it doesn't get as full to release as much volume of blood. Just make sure your cardio takes the time to explain it and how much you are effected by it, how serious it is. You can get very scared over something that's very mild and not a problem. Don't worry till someone says you need to. morgan

carmen -

just to second what morgan said, this is more often than not a benign issue. generally it's something that needs to be checked out "just to make sure" but many probably have it and don't even know if nothing ever precipitates it being found out. my brother - who is 20 and about as strappingly healthy as they come - had a nasty cough that he couldn't kick last spring & thus had some investigation into various things. they found thickening & did a few tests this summer to make sure he's good to go and he was given the all clear by the cardio last week. that said, he was never made to stop anything (hard core work outs as he's a varsity rower on scholarship) while things were getting checked out either. for him it may have occurred b/c of his working out so much while his body was fighting a bug, thus he was having to work harder to breath, etc....but they don't really know. he could have always been this way. none the less, my point is - seeing that i know you're not a male college athlete - is that it's something to get cleared but very likely not a worry. still, as always, never hurts to discuss with the doc b/c if there is something to be dealth with it's better to know. so...try not to worry to much before the appointment, be forearmed with lots of questions, & let us know how it goes after friday.

:-)melissa

carmen -

just a quick addition...i forgot to say congrats on your SS hearing!

:-)melissa

tylortotmom,

I was told after an EKG that i have thickning heart muscle, the doctor said its nothing to be worried about as many people live with it harmlessley.

What sort of symptoms do you get with this. I havnt yet been DXed with POTS im still awaiting the tests but i am 99% posative i have it. I find it hard to do things sometimes, the same as most POTS people would, but im forcing myself to go the gym and not letting my mind win me over, so far so good, except im aching inm y arms from lifting weights.

Regards.