Your most underrated treatment

POTSius

What treatment (medicine, lifestyle, etc) which helps you do you think is the most underrated? A treatment which, despite its good effects, you see little discussion of on these boards, etc.

For me, I would say ibuprofen, baking soda (for acid reflux) and self massage for muscle pains

The latter seems to work best when done maybe a dozen times on the target muscle per day, even if only for less than a minute each session

Please share what has helped you so others can benefit!

2 hours ago, POTSius said:

What treatment (medicine, lifestyle, etc) which helps you do you think is the most underrated?

Definitely IV Fluids!!!!! And a healthy balance of rest and exercise - whatever exercise is tolerated. 

@RecipeForDisasterwhich transvagal device do you use? If you can’t public ally say can you please send me a message? I am interested in one that’s only available in countries outside the US and uses an ear clip. Thanks.

For me with my AI linked/caused dysautonomia I use SCIG. It helps. It’s not a panacea but every little thing helps.

I also find a few minutes (5-10) of light aerobic exercise helps on the days I am rather (as opposed to terribly) fatigued helps. If I am terribly fatigued I take a rest day entirely.

An example of just one of my underrated treatments is:

When I spent a lot of time horizontally I was told to sit up every 30 minutes to help reset my body. (In addition to my many trips to the washroom because of my crazy bladder). I actually became competitive with myself and tried getting up even more often. I was then told to add to my routine by sitting up for a stretch of 30 minutes, once a day. 

I can now putter around the house more and more, go to doctor’s appointments way more comfortably, especially now with my 20 - 30 mmHg compression hosiery. I walked up to my last appointment at the hospital instead of using a hospital wheelchair. (I still crashed for a few days).

It was very, very uncomfortable to achieve, but I’m very glad I did it! I’m not going to let gravity win.

23 hours ago, p8d said:

@RecipeForDisasterwhich transvagal device do you use? If you can’t public ally say can you please send me a message? I am interested in one that’s only available in countries outside the US and uses an ear clip. Thanks.

For me with my AI linked/caused dysautonomia I use SCIG. It helps. It’s not a panacea but every little thing helps.

I also find a few minutes (5-10) of light aerobic exercise helps on the days I am rather (as opposed to terribly) fatigued helps. If I am terribly fatigued I take a rest day entirely.

I made my own using a TENS device and an ear clip! There are tutorials online or I can help. It’s similar to the one you can’t get in the US. 

Oh, and exercise is a definite - I forgot that one. It helps some things and hurts others, but I wouldn’t be without it.

12 hours ago, Delta said:

@POTSius,

For me, definitely getting enough sleep and not waiting too long between meals, even if they're just small meals. 

Sleep! Not much helps as much as sleep does, but I rarely get nearly enough.

For me, I do better when I don’t eat, unless I’m really hungry, which is not common. If I’m hungry, I’d better eat, but if not, I will usually regret it.

13 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

I made my own using a TENS device and an ear clip! There are tutorials online or I can help. It’s similar to the one you can’t get in the US. 

I did a bit of research on using ear clips with a TENS device. It shouldn’t be used if you have a history of cardiovascular problems, electrical heart implants, cochlear ear implants, trauma to the ear, open sores, facial or ear pain and the list keeps growing.

The scientists/doctors who do research on this have long exclusionary lists of conditions that can’t participate in research. I also read you have to keep the TENS at a specific frequency or it can be problematic. I personally don’t like the concept of altering any medical device. 

I’ve been told never to place TENS pads on or near the the head, the proximity to the ears sends red flags to me, especially for a DIY project. 

Another completely underrated treatment are a positive attitude, laughter and a supportive family. Without these I don't know if I would have survived!!!!!!

10 hours ago, PotsieCrocheter said:

I did a bit of research on using ear clips with a TENS device. It shouldn’t be used if you have a history of cardiovascular problems, electrical heart implants, cochlear ear implants, trauma to the ear, open sores, facial or ear pain and the list keeps growing.

The scientists/doctors who do research on this have long exclusionary lists of conditions that can’t participate in research. I also read you have to keep the TENS at a specific frequency or it can be problematic. I personally don’t like the concept of altering any medical device. 

I’ve been told never to place TENS pads on or near the the head, the proximity to the ears sends red flags to me, especially for a DIY project. 

Do what you feel comfortable with, then. I did months of research and was supremely careful when setting this up. I have continuous HR monitoring but I’ve never had an issue with low HR. 

I'd never put the usual TENS electrodes above the neck. The ear clips and use of specific Hz and pulse width makes this a totally different animal. I’ve been using it for a long with no ill effects, just positive ones. The TENS needs to stay at a particular frequency no matter what you’re using it for, unless you’re doing some odd variable therapy I’ve never heard of. I did not alter the device one bit - I am using TENS ear clips. Just trying to help - I got most of my information to start with right here and I was very grateful for it.

I’m very happy it’s working for you and I’m sorry I misunderstood, I didn’t realize they were “add ons” to your device from the manufacturer. I’ll check with my doctor, and if its okay I’ll see if my device has an ear clip too. Very innovative.

Obviously they would come with the manufacturer’s warnings and instructions, so they would list all of the conditions that could pose a problem. So I’m fine with that for sure.

This is what I use:

https://www.tenspros.com/black-ear-clip-electrodes-EAE01.html
it would hurt a lot if you put regular electrodes there, I think. There are papers where you can see what settings work well. My doctors are really impressed with this therapy (they knew nothing about it but liked the idea), even if it was my research that got me here. It is a little DIY, but since the approved device isn’t available here and is expensive... it does the trick.

Thanks for the link, it’s very reasonably priced too. It comes with the usual warnings, like check with your doctor, etc. This manufacturer sells lots of TENS “add ons” and electrode replacement pads, TENS units, etc. I bought mine from a physiotherapist, but these prices are impressive.

Thanks for your hard work researching and finding/sharing this. I took the DIY so literally (asking clarifying questions is a much better approach than just jumping to a conclusion - my bad).

I bought mine from a PT office, too. I agree, it’s crazy how cheap these have gotten! Good luck! I’m super cautious and careful - I think it took me a year to get up the guts to put this together and try it. 

I find that the ear clips ache after an hour or so, so that’s how long I leave them on. If they could be a bit more loose, I would use them for longer.