Chiropractor - More Harm than Good?

Jwarrior77

Back in April 2019 I went to see the chiropractor because of my collar bones that kept grinding and felt misaligned due to an injury to them years ago. I saw the chiropractor 4-5 times and during those times he adjusted my collar bones as well as my neck because I was there anyways so why not? I cant say if it actually did anything to benefit the the alignment of my collarbones. In fact I would say it made it slightly worse as the grinding is ever more prominent now. 

Anyways during that month I noticed that I was increasingly getting exercise intolerant and having a pounding heart when trying to exercise especially at school. I also kept getting much more fatigued during that time. I just thought I was really out of shape despite being skinny. A month later I got hit with some weird sort of illness and haven't been the same since. That's when I figured out I had pots and yadda yadda yadda. 

I've been thinking a lot lately if those chiropractor appointments could have contributed to myself getting pots. I know it sounds far fetched but after reading how a lot of people developed pots after head/neck injuries it seems something to look into. I've also been getting more occipital headaches than before and having a heavy fullness feeling in my head certain days. My neck hasn't felt the same either as it's harder to keep it upright when standing. Also the muscles feel overly lax. 

Should I go back to the chiropractor to get readjusted or tell him my theory? Or is all this improbable? I know that people who have EDS shouldn't get their joints adjusted a bunch unless under specialized care because they increase stretching out the joints and ligaments. Could have getting my neck adjusted a lot disrupted CSF flow? Or could it have contributed to head/neck instability?

I'm just trying to go down every avenue as to why I got this and to see if there are more ways to treat it. This could totally have nothing to do with this. Thoughts? 

@Jwarrior77 - this is truly a question to ask your provider or PCP. I personally see a chiropractor when needed and had only good results from getting adjusted, but that does not mean it is the same for you. Your PCP could order testing like CT scans if deemed appropriate to determine of you have damage. There is also PT he can order - they could help with the feeling of having lax muscles and possibly determine what causes the grinding in your neck. 

Guest KiminOrlando

Mine got worse with neck manipulation. I was sitting in a chair and almost fainted. I NEVER faint sitting. He stopped and the immediate feeling of looming unconsciousness went away, but it took months to get back to 'normal'. I have craniocervical instability, but they stopped short of calling it EDS. 

I think chiropractors are taught that this isn't from their work, but I also think they don't study the effects on people like us. They base it off a typical person. I stopped going to my doctor because it was expensive and I wasn't seeing any positive changes for me. Everyone is different though.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, KiminOrlando said:

Mine got worse with neck manipulation. I was sitting in a chair and almost fainted. I NEVER faint sitting. He stopped and the immediate feeling of looming unconsciousness went away, but it took months to get back to 'normal'. I have craniocervical instability, but they stopped short of calling it EDS. 

I think chiropractors are taught that this isn't from their work, but I also think they don't study the effects on people like us. They base it off a typical person. I stopped going to my doctor because it was expensive and I wasn't seeing any positive changes for me. Everyone is different though.

same! I tried going for headaches/neck pain and after the 3rd neck adjustment I nearly fainted as I was walking to my car. I'd never go back to any chiro for a neck adjustment.