Had POTS with mild symptoms after medication it’s annoying

priyaa87

I was diagnosed with POTS a month back and  for past few months was following up with GP for high resting heart rates otherwise I had milder symptoms which wouldn’t affect my day . I believe I had POTS for few years but didn’t stop my from doing anything.My GP prescribed beta blockers that’s where it all started with . I was getting bradycardia then he changed my dosage twice finally I was referred to EP cardiologist she talked about Dysautonomia and prescribed be metoprolol 30 mg and asked me to exercise regularly .These days I couldn’t go anywhere or do anything because of bradycardia .after 10 mins of going out my heart rates goes low like 38 bpm .so confused right now did I bring more problems to me trying to fix it . 

Hello and welcome!

I'm sorry you're struggling. If you only had mild symptoms & could live a normal life then medication may not be worthwhile in your case. I would go back to your doctor and discuss coming off the beta blocker. If you still feel you want something to lower your heart rate (& I personally wouldn't so long as the rhythm was normal and it wasn't causing symptoms), you could ask about ivabradine which lowers HR without the side effects of beta blockers. 

B x

Sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, I had a very similar situation. I tried Metoprolol 12.5 twice a day and had all sorts of side effects. Then they tried long acting Propranolol and my heart rate was so low. then short acting. then they wanted to add another med to counteract the side effects of the beta blocker. Finally, I got off of all of them. I still Have some bad days and mild symptoms, but way less than the meds have me. Getting off the Beta blocker was no fun though, terrible symptoms for weeks. Feel better now, well, not better, but comparably. Wish I had better advice. It is frustrating.