Disabled, home bound, called for jury duty

p8d

Anybody have any experience in getting out of jury duty because of disability?  There’s no way I could survive it.  My labile BP would either lead to fainting or hypertensive crisis/stroke and don’t get me started on the years it would take me to recover. There’s a spot to request accommodation due to disability but not to avoid it.  I have a message in to my neurologist requesting a letter or information but thought I would reach out here too.  I am on SSDI and haven’t left the house except for medical appointments in 4.5 years.  It’s ironic that when I was able bodied I wanted to be called and never was.  TIA.

I don't know about the US but here in the UK a GP's letter would suffice to get you excused completely. I used to do them all the time. Yes I too used to hope to be picked, but would now not be able to go either unless they provided me with a reclining wheelchair and attendant. 

B x

Guest KiminOrlando

My PCP filled out a form that I was medically unable to serve permanently. The rules may be different depending on the state. Go online and find out or call the Clerk of the Court. I am still eligible to be called for Federal jury duty, but not as likely to get the call. The doctor will deal with that if I ever need it.

I was summoned for jury duty recently too! I requested to be excused, because I care for my special needs son full time and breast feed both my daughters. I don't feel like I get enough support from any of my docs to be able to be excused for medical reasons. So I can't offer any advice, but good luck! Oh and I too used to want to be picked. Lol 

Guest ScottS

(Assuming you still are in Wisconsin) see https://www.wicourts.gov/services/juror/terms.htm

I have to agree with:

52 minutes ago, WinterSown said:

Should not be a problem to be relieved from serving. The courts are very concerned with their jurors, they are very sympathetic.

A note (emailed or faxed) from your doctor explaining why you should be exempted should be all it takes. 

Also see https://www.wicourts.gov/services/juror/contacts.htm 

14 hours ago, p8d said:

Anybody have any experience in getting out of jury duty because of disability?  There’s no way I could survive it.  My labile BP would either lead to fainting or hypertensive crisis/stroke and don’t get me started on the years it would take me to recover. There’s a spot to request accommodation due to disability but not to avoid it.  I have a message in to my neurologist requesting a letter or information but thought I would reach out here too.  I am on SSDI and haven’t left the house except for medical appointments in 4.5 years.  It’s ironic that when I was able bodied I wanted to be called and never was.  TIA.

I'll tell you exactly what I did. I gathered up my most important medical records and there was an address I sent them to. One of my records was a letter describing all my diagnoses etc. Well the judge read all these records and sent me back a letter that said "As long as you live in Leon County, you will not be called for jury duty." It was pretty amazing but maybe you'll have a judge that has some compassion.