Surge protection

Pistol

Hi - so here is what a surge looks like and what I do to prevent them. Example: I am in the kitchen standing and cooking. I can feel my heart rate going up but there is just ONE MORE veggie to chop. After that I will go lie down - but no, the pasta will be done in 2 minutes. I sit down and ask my husband to finish the cooking but he is busy. So I wait and drain the pasta but my daughter needs something. My heart is thumping, I am getting frantic but I help her, all along warning that I need to lie down or else. " Go lie down!" my husband says. So I go lie down but my thoughts ( and heart) are racing, I am restless, my chest hurts, I am trembling. I remember something else needs to be done and know I should just rest but at this point I am no longer thinking straight. I jump up and rush to the kitchen to get it done and my daughter asks me a question and my husband says: "Why are you up ?" And I blow up because at this time my adrenaline level is through the roof, I am close to tears. So I run back to the bedroom and lie down, at wits end. After 5 minutes of "wrestling a bear" in my head I am starting to calm down and after another few minutes I am back to my normal self but too exhausted to get up to finish cooking or even to eat. ----- Many will know this sequence of events. And when you look at this without comprehending POTS then it just looks like I am a freaky, anxious, irritable ****** person who needs to "get a grip". Although still bothered by these surges my family is very understanding and urge me to lie down as soon as I can feel the first symptoms, but that is not always possible. So - to avoid these symptoms I have come up with these steps: 

1) Do all kitchen chores sitting whenever possible. ( I pass out when sitting so I cannot keep a stool by the stove which makes cooking that much more difficult ).

2) Ask for someone to help with timed cooking to keep an eye on time if you need to lie down.

3) Try to only do one thing at a time and let others know that you will not be available for any other activities while cooking ( including home work questions, answering phone calls etc )

4) Do not do as I did - when the first symptoms appear - RETREAT! Do not agitate the bear!

Anyone else have suggestions to add to the list?

I precook a lot of my ingredients and keep them in the freezer, like mirepoix, or chopped and cooked onions or mushrooms. I bought some used cookbooks online about cooking for the freezer and they have been a great benefit. I per-season food like london broil, chops, or wings and put in a freezer bag. When I need a meat I just take one out and defrost then cook. It's a bit of a change for me as I have always enjoyed making dinner but I can't stand long enough to chop a carrot, so having some extras already prepped in the freezer has been a big help.

I use a wheelchair in the kitchen. Firstly as I use a crutch or wheelchair at all times, and it's hard to carry anything with a crutch! Secondly I can stand when able, at sit when not. You can still do most cooking sitting in an unmodified kitchen. I can also take a breather before doing heavy tasks like draining pasta.

If possible I try and take a 5 minute lie down between getting things almost ready and eating, otherwise I tend to do everything for the meal then feel so awful I don't get to eat any of it.

I have three stools placed around my kitchen as I'm not able to do anything standing. Chopping veggies in advance and freezing meals also helps like others have said (we need a bigger freezer!) and I only cook hot food when there's another adult in the house. 

I also have to remind my family not to make demands or block my path when I'm moving between seats. 

I tend to be most able in the evenings so that's when I do things where possible. 

B x

Pistol I totally relate to the pushing through when really we know we shouldn't ! I smiled when you mentioned your husbands reactions it sounds  just like mine, they know us so well ! Whilst cooking my hubby often tells me to put the knife down and go and sit down before I hurt myself he can see I'm not co ordinated

Before I pass out I always get really hot, in seconds i am  dripping with sweat,  feel panicky ,aggitated and confused  so I lay down until someone can get me ice for my neck and   i chug cold water which  helps bring my temperature down . I have learnt the hard way take immediate action or pass out which often results in injury , as my Dr says doesn't matter where you are get on the ground ! 

@dancer65 - I just read your post to my husband and he just shook his head like : they are all the same, lol . I have had POTS for 9 years and really know better but it still happens all the time. The other day I was in my garden and I pulled out a dead plant and then saw another and pulled that one … when my symptoms started I knew to lie down but there was just that one more plant I needed to get … and then I woke up on a heap of dead plants. Why do we do this? I guess it's a mix of frustration, stubbornness and - well - stupidity! 

Pistol I read your post the other night to my hubby he reaction was one of yep sounds familiar laughing ! Thank goodness they have a sense of humour and patience !

on a more serious note the high addrellin does make us seem  neurotic and that is the one thing outsiders don’t understand even if you try to explain when you have calmed down ! 

I think we just are determined not to let it rule our life and have the belief we can just push a bit more only to find we are wrong again !! It comforting to know I’m not the only one who misjudges the situation maybe one we will master it .