Salt loading to deal with syncope/dizziness/fainting

voxel

Do people here use salt loading (excess salt in diet + fluids) to deal with syncope/dizziness/fainting?

This week a new issue has emerged for me... when I stand up from lying down I sometimes almost pass out (syncope). I have never experienced this before. Lately my normal day-to-day BP is has low-ish which I considered a great sign that I'm healthier and I seem to have more energy throughout the day too but this issue is disturbing.

I stopped salt loading a few weeks back because my BP would rise to an uncomfortable level if I ate too much salt and not enough fluids (I never know the proper balance). I do not restrict salt from my diet though.

I do take in far more salt & fluids (in the form of electrolyte mix drinks & just a little salt added to food as I don't really like the taste of salt) than the average person (approx 6 litres/10g per day). I wouldn't say it helps me with lightheadedness/presyncope although how much worse I'd be without I don't know. I don't produce any renin or aldosterone though, these are the hormones which help your body hold onto salt or fluids, so my situation may not be typical. 

How come you were salt & fluid loading previously if you've only just developed orthostatic intolerance now and not before? There may be a clue there. Perhaps all the salt & fluids were actually treating an issue you didn't know you had, and it has simply become apparent in their absence - in which case reintroducing them with an eye on your BP may help.

B x

@voxel - are you taking a new med? I have developed acute hypotension from new meds like BB or calcium channel blockers before and needed to decrease the dosage until my BP started to become high again and then increase again. We are extremely sensitive to meds, so that could be possible. -- Yes - I salt-load along with fluids and it helps for me somewhat but when I get hypo-or hprtensive I get IV fluids and that fixes it. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:47 AM, bombsh3ll said:

I do take in far more salt & fluids (in the form of electrolyte mix drinks & just a little salt added to food as I don't really like the taste of salt) than the average person (approx 6 litres/10g per day). I wouldn't say it helps me with lightheadedness/presyncope although how much worse I'd be without I don't know. I don't produce any renin or aldosterone though, these are the hormones which help your body hold onto salt or fluids, so my situation may not be typical. 

How come you were salt & fluid loading previously if you've only just developed orthostatic intolerance now and not before? There may be a clue there. Perhaps all the salt & fluids were actually treating an issue you didn't know you had, and it has simply become apparent in their absence - in which case reintroducing them with an eye on your BP may help.

B x

The cardiologist who diagnostic me mentioned ingesting high salt. I tried add salt to every meal but found it too much so I ended merely eating high salt foods like chips, soups, pickles occasionally.

On 10/19/2018 at 7:10 AM, Pistol said:

@voxel - are you taking a new med? I have developed acute hypotension from new meds like BB or calcium channel blockers before and needed to decrease the dosage until my BP started to become high again and then increase again. We are extremely sensitive to meds, so that could be possible. -- Yes - I salt-load along with fluids and it helps for me somewhat but when I get hypo-or hprtensive I get IV fluids and that fixes it. 

No new meds. I've been prescribed an alpha/beta blocker and anti-anxiety pill but don't plan to take any of those until a major flare-up day.

In general, I might be a little dehydrated these days.  I thought I was getting enough fluids but I did have a morning where I woke up with 168/85 BP after eating salty foods late at night and not drinking enough water. I worry too much water will flush out the sodium so I only drink with food or after exercise or when my mouth feels thirsty.

I don't understand my body in general. I have a salty taste on my tongue and sometimes it's because I need salt and sometimes it's because I need water. I guess salt loading is all about ingest salt and water together, right?

. If you are having high BP sometines and low BP other times it is probably worth checking with your doctor.  I don’t think having lots of salt at night would usually cause you to have high BP in the morning. It usually builds up over time and it is the combination of salt and water over time that increases BP.