Baclofen & POTS

Pistol

I am considering trying baclofen for night time jaw clenching. During researching the use of this medication I found a comment stating it is not recommended for use in POTS. Does any one take Baclofen that has POTS or does anyone know why I should not take it? --- Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have CIDP and take a baclofen for the muscle tightness in my feet. I’ve been on it for 6 years total, and have had POTS for 4 years. I’ve never had any problems. I’m on a low dose, 10 mg twice a day. Do you know why they said it wasn’t recommended in POTS? 

There was an initial groggy feeling when I first started it but it went away in time. This was before I had dizziness and lightheadedness from POTS, maybe it makes that worse? 

Although I still don't have official pots DX, managed a 50bpm increase to 150bpm on the TTT so that comes into pots (do have a dysautonomia DX from other tests) they are trying to DX the cause rather than the symptoms.

I started baclofen low dose last year for leg contracture and general muscle hypertonia. Since then the dose has been increased to 70mg per day to try and control the problems. No one has ever questioned the use with pots, including the dysautonomic neurologist who did the TTT. They are more concerned with the muscle problems.

You do need to taper on / off to prevent side effects. For me it helped straight away (noticeable improvement in a couple of days) but since then there has been a slow and relentless increase in dose to help the problems. 

For localised problems have you / they considered botox? They were going to use botox for me, until they started working out where they would need to inject and quickly went over max dosage.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/6/2020 at 8:18 PM, JenD said:

Baclofen can trigger onset or worsen dysautonomia. I believe Baclofen triggered the onset of my dysautonomia & POTS. My symptoms have improved a lot since stopping the Baclofen. 

Valium does wonders for my POTS.  I can only assume baclofen would do similar, being a similar gaba activating muscle relaxer.