Compression stockings for the first time

I got a prescription for knee highs, technically. I asked for a prescription for 30-40 mmhg. Was that a bad idea if I've never worn compression before? I'm worried I won't be able to tolerate it. Also, my insurance covers Truform brand so I'd appreciate any recommendations for Truform knee highs if anyone has any. 

I've worn knee highs for years 20-30 mmhg and I remember in the beginning it was really hard getting them on properly without spraining my fingers lol, but it gets easier once you do it for a while and develop a smoother technique. Mine are SIGVARIS brand. Good luck, I hope they help with circulation.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about! Getting them on and wearing them! I wish I had asked for 20-30 now, but I heard so many times for POTS you want 30-40. When I told the woman on the phone at the medical supply store 30-40 she seemed surprised and I regretted it then. I don't pick them up until Friday or Monday so we'll see. 

I have swelling in my right leg from previous DVT and I find that the 30-40 MMhg compression socks are too tight for me. But I also have chronic pain in this leg. I think a prescription that high and even higher is for people with serious swelling in their legs. A good 20-30 MMhg would work well for you. They actually take all of the swelling from my leg and my foot used to swell to the size of a small football when I first had my DVT's. You also need to look up online how to measure your calf for the proper size as that will make a big difference. There is small medium and large I think. Here is a size chart for Jobst compression socks. You will have to measure your ankle, top of calf, and middle of calf I believe in order to get the proper size. As far as your script goes, you can just ask for the 20-30 instead when you go to the medical supply store. But you can also buy the 20-30 online without a script I believe. I hope you feel better soon.

Here is a link to how to measure for compression socks: https://www.compressionguru.com/jobst-size-charts?matchtype=b&network=s&device=c&adposition=1t1&keyword=&campaign={campaign}&gclid=CjwKCAjwyrvaBRACEiwAcyuzRCvc_JO9tlJqTm2wAhvegcjl_sEttT5P1GMZ6Ej4KcduuJ4SRlzpMxoCu00QAvD_BwE

7 hours ago, joiedevivre said:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about! Getting them on and wearing them! I wish I had asked for 20-30 now, but I heard so many times for POTS you want 30-40. When I told the woman on the phone at the medical supply store 30-40 she seemed surprised and I regretted it then. I don't pick them up until Friday or Monday so we'll see. 

I'm not sure how much more intense 30-40 vs 20-30 will be... maybe it's not all that different in tensile strength. The main thing I recall is that the initial use of them seems so difficult and what you're really doing is developing a technique to get them on smoothly. Even now when I get a brand new pair, it's tricky getting them on. I bunch them up down to where the ankle is on the stocking, then pull outward a bit to try to stretch them and at the same time make that first move to slip them up over the heel. The trick is to not stop there completely or you're stuck with this vice grip stocking right at the ankle and it's hard to wangle it from there... so once you've got them over the heel... keep moving and wriggling enough to get up to the calf.

BTW, when I got my first Rx for a pair, I was measured at the pharmacy where I got them, so by what @blizzard2014 is saying and through my experience, maybe you need to consider getting measured and making sure you have the strength right. My first problem with swelling, my right foot swelled up so bad I had to buy a pair of boys runners size 12 or 14 I can't remember but none of my shoes fit at all. Now, I wear the stockings all day... just trying to get blood up to my lungs and head... Still, I'm dizzy as frack all the time like someone clobbered me.

Anyway, I hope you get some relief from them and get the right fit. Putting them on *does* get easier. :-)