Gabapentin

Hi all.  I was prescribed gabapentin for burning pains in body.  It has helped but then noticed I was having elevated HR, BP, and mild irregular beat.  However, I also got the longest continuous sleep I’ve had in maybe four months.  (A whopping 5.5 hours).  The HR/BP was scary because I thought “Here we go; I’m developing POTS.”  

Should I continue taking this?  Speak to my doctor?  Pharmacist?  Anyone else have poor, good, or mixed experiences with the off-label used of gabapentin?

Thank you,

Zero

Guest KiminOrlando

I use gabapentin. When you say elevated HR and BP, what levels? Were they standing, sitting or lying down? Do you have a BP monitor that can also detect heartbeat irregularities or do you just feel it?

Anytime you develop side effects you should first consult the accompanying info sheet that came with your med. Some side effects are less serious than others. For any questions about new meds I always refer to my pharmacist with specific symptoms or questions since they will be able to tell you if it is safe to continue taking the med. Then you also should always consult your doctor. But keep in mind - most meds have some side effects and your doctor prescribes them because he feels the benefit outweighs the risk. Also keep in mind that many meds take a while for your body to adjust to them, so many side effects disappear if you keep taking them. I am on meds that give me side effects but I would rather live with them than with the symptoms they were prescribed for. Good luck! 

9 minutes ago, KiminOrlando said:

I use gabapentin. When you say elevated HR and BP, what levels? Were they standing, sitting or lying down? Do you have a BP monitor that can also detect heartbeat irregularities or do you just feel it?

They were all over the place.  HR never got over 90 sitting or standing. But BP was once 93/70 sitting; then like 140/80 standing.  Then once 140/80 sitting and 110/70 standing.  I just feel the irregularities.  

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Anytime you develop side effects you should first consult the accompanying info sheet that came with your med. Some side effects are less serious than others. For any questions about new meds I always refer to my pharmacist with specific symptoms or questions since they will be able to tell you if it is safe to continue taking the med. Then you also should always consult your doctor. But keep in mind - most meds have some side effects and your doctor prescribes them because he feels the benefit outweighs the risk. Also keep in mind that many meds take a while for your body to adjust to them, so many side effects disappear if you keep taking them. I am on meds that give me side effects but I would rather live with them than with the symptoms they were prescribed for. Good luck! 

Thanks.  That was my plan too: read sheet; call pharmacy; update doctor.  Honestly I might just take this at night instead of all day.  I couldn’t believe I got 5.5 hours of relatively restful sleep.  So I’ll start there.  Thanks as always.

26 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

Gabapentin works for me, only side effect is a little sleepiness.  So I took at bedtime.   Ok also tried Lyrica.  Gabapentin seemed to work better for me.

I get sleepy too, which is good, because I hadn’t felt drowsy in over 4 months.   I’m just hoping that they are just side effects and not something else developing (I’m a worrier, if you couldn’t tell). 

I got uninterrupted sleep for the first time in a long time.  So hopefully the pros outweigh the cons.  I’ve read reviews online.  Some swear by it...and some swear about it.

Best,

Zer0

3 minutes ago, Alex D. said:

Stay strong, it gets better.  Positive attitude, meditation, medication, accupuncture and exercise. My process!

Thanks.  I walked today but it’s so hot here.  I just prefer my A/C room.  Maybe I’ll do some mediation now.  Lately I’ve been doing progressive muscle relaxation.  I like it because someone is talking and it obstructs my inner monologue

I take 2,400mgs - 3,600mgs of Gabapentin per days and I have been taking them since 2007. You will get side-effects to begin with but see your doctor if you are concerned or call the pharmacist for advice. They do make you tired/sleepy but I've got used to them over the years. I am now taking CBD and that really helps my nervous system. 

@TCP How does CBD help your nervous system?  I tried LDN but the insomnia was too much.  I just ordered some for my autoimmune disease.

I am in the process of weaning off gabapentin, very, very slowly.  I had been taking it for suspected neuropathy in my gastrointestinal tract for a couple of years.  So far I am not having problems.  I just want to cut back on as many meds as possible.

CBD relaxes the nerves and helps with anxiety. If you can get the sort with THC in it it's even better. In the UK you can only legally get 0.2% THC. I use a vaping pen, as CBD oil upsets my gut, and use a variety of CBD e-liquids. I am hoping to cut down on the Gabapentin and I hope in time the CBD can replace it.

I used to use LDN in cream form. 

1 hour ago, TCP said:

CBD relaxes the nerves and helps with anxiety. If you can get the sort with THC in it it's even better. In the UK you can only legally get 0.2% THC. I use a vaping pen, as CBD oil upsets my gut, and use a variety of CBD e-liquids. I am hoping to cut down on the Gabapentin and I hope in time the CBD can replace it.

I used to use LDN in cream form. 

@TCP I tried it 1:1 last month and it sent me to the ER with violent shaking.  I think I need the CBD-only.  What’s odd is this: I used to recreationally and medicinally use marijuana. I had depression and anxiety and hated SSRIs and benzodiazepines (still hate benzodiazepines).  But once all this came about, I couldn’t tolerate mj, caffeine, or alcohol.  I’ve been sober as a priest for 4 months and I really miss rolling a joint after a long day at work.  But it’s legal in Massachusetts.  But I’m weary still because CBD is still so unregulated that there’s a lot of false product out there, along with a lot of suffering people.  That can lead to a lot of exploitationof that suffering because we get desperate for a cure-all (or a cure-some, at least).  Which is our right obviously.  

My sister has her card so maybe I’ll experiment again with it.  I made a horrible mistake when I got the 1:1 THC/CBD.  But I think I can tolerate CBD a little better.  We’ll see.  I think it’s one of this case by case things.