Is it possible to lessen the effects of brain fog/ lightheadedness?

DAB19

I find that one of my worst symptoms is the CONSTANT brain fog/lightheadedness. I feel like if I wasn't so lightheaded all of the time I might have more good days. I seem to have lightheadedness regardless of my position. Do you have any tips for lessening the effects of the lightheadedness? I find Benadryl helps sometimes, but I don't like taking it so often because of the drowsiness, which can obviously be annoying in the middle of the day. 

It is very possible to lessen the fog. I eat a balanced diet heavy on electrolyte-rich foods (no supplements), drink water, drink milk, exercise my body--I walk everyday and do a creative neurotherapy to foster new pathways for thinking. It's been awesome, to give it a go anyone can do what they love, expand on it and start getting back into living your life.  Compared to where I was a year ago I am ready to go on Jeopardy (well, maybe the kids version). It seems like the fog is blowing out into wisps. I still have some bad days but they are usually accompanied by my own bad behavior--I didn't take my meds, I am dehydrated, and I-did-too-much-the-day-before are the usual culprits. I wrote an article about it in last months DINET Newsletter, called 'Walking out of the Fog.'  I wish you well.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:55 PM, Lily said:

I make my own these days because it is cheaper, but it still gets the job done.

Lily would you mind sharing your recipe for this? I am yet to find the right balance of adding salt to my fluids in a way that isn't too unpleasant to drink.

I too would love to be rid of the constant lightheadedness. I am also affected in all positions although standing is obviously worst, followed by sitting with legs down.  My HR and BP can be entirely normal yet I remain presyncopal. I think it is more about cerebral blood flow and cardiac output than the measurable values. 

Licorice root helped me so much but the effect wore off over time. 

Next thing on my list to try is IV albumin. 

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies for replying so late.  I have not been reading this site much lately.

My recipe is from this website:  https://paleoleap.com/all-about-electrolytes/

About halfway down the page you'll find the recipe:

• Homemade Pedialyte: 8 ounces of apple juice + ¼ teaspoon regular salt + ½ teaspoon low-sodium salt* + 1 tablespoon of honey in 1 liter of water.

Improving my blood pressure helps with the lightheadedness for me.  It is a direct connection for me between lightheadedness and brain fog/lightheadedness.  Personally electrolyte drinks aren't enough for me.  I need to mega salt load. I drink organic broth as needed.  If blood pressure is an issue you could also look into compression hose.

I had some blackouts a few weeks back, got some captures of sixties over forties on the cuff at other times; I called the EP and saw him a few days later. We talked about my self care and then talked about the weather, tsk. I did not compensate for spending too much time in the warm sun. It had been a hot day and I went inside as soon as I felt myself overheating but that was too late; I should have gone inside before I got to that point. I have to make a conscious effort to increase my water and salt. He cut another of my drugs in half again to bring up my baseline numbers. I have found drinking a cold tumbler of milk, either animal or plant-based, will make me feel better soon. Milk is loaded with electrolytes and has sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium; and it's also easily digested food with proteins, fats and sugars. I do better with a glass of milk than anything else for restoring my energy and alertness. 

1 minute ago, Ekim.pee said:

I bought a pair of 'skins' a few weeks back - a size smaller than I would normally wear. These seem to be helping as compression stockings. They are easy to put on and are relatively comfortable.

Thanks for the advise about milk, I'm going to try it.

Skins are leggings? I practically live in leggings. Total/Tummy/Energy/Control pantyhose also do a great job at keeping me erect. I learned about them from a waitress decades back when I was a counter girl at the same restaurant. Any type of quality support pantyhose, it seems, will minimize blood pooling in your legs. 

I was having dizziness spells for a while. Even loud noise would trigger my head to spin. My pulmonologist recommended trying half a tablet of dramatize. It worked. I also drink the vitamin water with potassium with it to help as well. My dizzies have been mostly gone for over a year. I still get the occasional lightheadedness but the constant dizzies are gone for me for now. 

• 2 weeks later...

My brain fog seams worse when I have a sinus infection... and I don't have classic symptoms (just air not going up as high as normal into my nasal passages, pressure, blurred vision). Also going off gluten has brought a huge improvement in my brain fog... but I will say, I'm so sorry. Though I've had improvement intermittently it remains one of the sad/frustrating aspects of this for me as well.