Bradycardia?

Hi Everyone,

I finally had my baby :) It was a long delivery (22 hours), but I made it.  He is now 4 days old and doing great.  I thought I was recovering a little better than last time.  However, I started to notice that my HR is now going DOWN....  at first I was excited because it was so high during pregnancy and I was suffering horrible bouts of tachycardia.  It kept going lower & lower to the point that it was 44 last night and I was really short of breath.  I ended up going to the ER and they monitored me.  It was 44-48 basically the entire time I was there.   They did an EKG and a chest X-ray.  They also found elevated D-Dimer levels, so they did a CT scan of my lungs and and X-ray of my abdomen.  Everything came back normal.  They didn't know the cause for the lowered heart rate.  It has been around 44-48 while I sleep and mostly in the 50s during day now, sometimes in the 40s, even when I'm sitting up.  When I stand it's only 70-80 which is crazy for me.  I'm not as worried about that as I am the 40s rate.  Has anyone ever heard of this post-partum!?  I am breastfeeding as well, if that makes a difference. I am a little worried.

I spoke to my cardiologist and he wants me to get a full thyroid panel, which for some reason they didn't do last night at the ER.  I am also going in on Tuesday for another heart halter.  It's so frustrating because I was just evaluated for tachycardia. My anxiety is so high about this, especially after the stress of the birth.  Thanks for any insight.  

Congratulations on your baby-boy, I have been thinking that you probably delivered by now! When I first got sick with POTS I would go back and forth between high and low HR. I would be worried about the low HR if it persists, especially since you have symptoms ( shortness of breath ) with it. However - your body is going through such radical changes - you may just need a while to readjust to " being on your own ".  The thyroid panel would be very appropriate, also - how has your iron been? I know you were deficient before delivery. And I assume you are not on any cardiac meds since you are breastfeeding? --- Lots of well wishes to you and your - now bigger - family

Congrats on the baby!

ive never had a baby, but for years I’ve had bradycardia & tachycardia. My cardiologists never seem so concerned with the bradycardia as they are with the tachycardia. I’ve had quite a few episodes where my heart rate got so low I lost consciousness. My ferritin wasn’t only at 2 when the worst episode happened & doctors think it may have been because of that. When I’d go to doctors or have tests done (like stress tests) they’d always ask if I wasn’t trained athlete because my BP & HR were so low. They had trouble getting me to my target heart rate so after a half hour, they gave up. 

More recently, I’ve had a huge spike in my blood pressure (it used to be like 90/70) but it’s now like 160/100 (I’m on medication for it now, it’s now around 125/80). Cardiologist said it’s probably genetics (my mom, her mom, & my sister have high BP & were diagnosed in their early 30s... I just turned 34) but who knows. 

Its frustrating, I know. Sorry I don’t have any answers but I hope you find some. 

Congratulations!  So glad the birth went well and you are home with your baby.

So sorry you had to go to ER after coming home due to these concerning symptoms.

I don't have much to add.  There have been many members here who have experienced this.  I'm not aware of it specifically occurring post partum but I agree with what others have said that your body is undergoing major changes and hopefully it will resolve.  Could it be a reaction to any med or treatment you received at the hospital for pain?  Good to be following up with your dr asap.  Let us know how you are doing.

Thanks- I wondered if it was the result of the epidural which I had this time.. I still haven't been able to get an answer as to why this is occurring, but I'm back on a heart halter again, so maybe I can get some answers soon.  

@Shannoncr Wow, that is scary that you passed out... how low was your heart rate when that happened?  

Last night I saw my heart rate at 39, really scary!  

@Bluebonnet08 I’m not sure what my heart rate was, they had trouble finding a pulse. It’s only happened three times & they didn’t happen close together or for any particular reason. I know the first time it happened, when they were finally able to get a BP it was 54/45 but when I came to, I was fine.  Just exhausted, sweaty, & cold lol. It was weird & very unpleasant but I still got the warnings I was going to pass out, just didn’t make it in time to stop it. My cardiologist has always said as long as I still get the warning signs, I’m fine. It’s when they stop that it’s time to worry. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Hope you get some answers!

Just wanted to post an update- I went to the cardiologist and had some imaging done that ruled out postpartum cardiomyopathy.. he also read my heart halter and said everything was falling into a normal rhythm.  He feels that the bradycardia is an autonomic issue that is occurring because of the large fluid shifts after pregnancy.  He recommended 3 IVs a week until I started to improve.  He said things like nausea, fever, and pain (all of which I've had) can make heart rates go up or down.  A part of me wonders if this could also be an epidural side-effect?  He also checked the thyroid to rule out "Sheehan's Syndrome" which can sometimes occur after pregnancy but everything was normal.    

I have seen some improvement since getting the IVs.  My HR wasn't below 45 last night and it's been better during the day.  Never thought I would complain about a low heart rate after dealing with tachycardia for 13 years... but I just want to see it above 50 at night now!  I just wanted to post in case this helps someone else with bradycardia.  

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your little guy! I’m no medical expert but I will say I have bouts of Bradycardia. It concerns me as well just because I’m so used to having a high heart rate. I even get episodes of my heart dropping and then speeding up all within a minute or so (those are not fun at all!) I guess if everything came back good in your workup it has to be something autonomic related. Hopefully you’ll get to feeling better soon. I know when I have my bouts of Brady I get super worked up too just because it isn’t my “norm”.