Panic anxiety

AmyK

Has anyone experienced relief of panic/anxiety that comes along with the hormone fluctuations of the menstrual cycle using birth control? I am 37 and have had 5 children (done I may add) and I only feel normal 1 week out of the month.  Looking for relief.   I was on the pill overa decade ago and did ok with it.  Thanks!

I feel the exact same way!! The week before my period is usually the worst of all. Like you, I have about 1 normal week a month where I’m calm and can actually handle the freeway and other situations. The only thing helping me right now is pharma-gaba and even with that I still have anxiety it just takes the edge off. I have been given Klonopin which I hear is amazing but I still haven’t dared try it. 

3 hours ago, Jan said:

I stayed on the pill until menopause. It really helped. Menopause also really helped, I highly recommend it.  Hot flashes are cake compared to migraines and POTS symptoms. 

Jan I am already looking forward to menopause and being more calm. I will take the hot flashes over these mood swing, anxiety,.digestive issues etc...any day and time.   I really wish I had a remedy.for the digestive issues I have on the pill though.   Other than those I feel much better.

8 hours ago, Bluebonnet08 said:

I personally felt a thousand times worse when I was on the pill.  I feel like it's in part- what actually triggered this condition for me.  For me I think there is a big hormonal component to the disorder, as I felt the worse on the pill and during pregnancy.  

I always felt better pregnant (well minus the first 3 months). So, that may be why I feel better on birth control rather than off of it. I have more digestive issues now than I did in my early 20s on it. 

15 hours ago, Jessica_ said:

I feel the exact same way!! The week before my period is usually the worst of all. Like you, I have about 1 normal week a month where I’m calm and can actually handle the freeway and other situations. The only thing helping me right now is pharma-gaba and even with that I still have anxiety it just takes the edge off. I have been given Klonopin which I hear is amazing but I still haven’t dared try it. 

Klonopin works wonders and if you just bite a small piece off of it that should take the edge off with you needing much of the drug. It helps with sleep as well but never in a groggy out of it way. It really calms the nervpus system.  

On 4/19/2018 at 3:40 PM, AmyK said:

Klonopin works wonders and if you just bite a small piece off of it that should take the edge off with you needing much of the drug. It helps with sleep as well but never in a groggy out of it way. It really calms the nervpus system.  

I have heard it works amazing for most people! I seriously just need to try it despite my fears of medication. Crazy to have anxiety over taking anxiety medication it’s madness! Have you found it helps with your attacks? 

Not tried birth control (I am not allowed to take it due to vascular type brain lesions) but have found adrenaline/panic type feelings have massively reduced on a decent dose of Chelated Magnesium.  I was very sceptical, but started almost a month ago and am shocked at how much calmer and less stressed I am.  I am also sleeping much better and my scary night episodes have reduced in both frequency and severity. (I was having adrenaline/sympathetic surges repeatedly all night during my pre-menstrual phase and since becoming perimenopausal, that was 3 weeks a month and rising.)

Might be worth a try?  If you do, you may want to avoid Magnesium Oxide, as it may upset your stomach and not get absorbed.  Magnesium Taurate, Glycinate or Chelated are the best ones to go for in my opinion.  Some cardiologist are now saying that just about everyong would benefit from some degree of Magnesium supplementation for hearth and nervous system healthy.  

On 4/21/2018 at 6:36 AM, Jessica_ said:

I have heard it works amazing for most people! I seriously just need to try it despite my fears of medication. Crazy to have anxiety over taking anxiety medication it’s madness! Have you found it helps with your attacks? 

On 4/21/2018 at 10:42 AM, Womble said:

Not tried birth control (I am not allowed to take it due to vascular type brain lesions) but have found adrenaline/panic type feelings have massively reduced on a decent dose of Chelated Magnesium.  I was very sceptical, but started almost a month ago and am shocked at how much calmer and less stressed I am.  I am also sleeping much better and my scary night episodes have reduced in both frequency and severity. (I was having adrenaline/sympathetic surges repeatedly all night during my pre-menstrual phase and since becoming perimenopausal, that was 3 weeks a month and rising.)

Might be worth a try?  If you do, avoid Magnesium Oxide, as it will just upset your stomach and not get absorbed.  Magnesium Taurate, Glycinate or Chelated are the best ones to go for.  Some cardiologist are now saying that just about everyong would benefit from some degree of Magnesium supplementation for hearth and nervous system healthy.  

On 4/21/2018 at 6:36 AM, Jessica_ said:

Haha😅Yes. It does and I take very little and works.  Also I take a little bit off a pill to help with sleep as well.  

On 4/19/2018 at 8:09 PM, Jan said:

I stayed on the pill until menopause. It really helped. Menopause also really helped, I highly recommend it.  Hot flashes are cake compared to migraines and POTS symptoms. 

I look forward to Menopause passing ! Haha

On 4/21/2018 at 10:42 AM, Womble said:

Might be worth a try?  If you do, you may want to avoid Magnesium Oxide, as it may upset your stomach and not get absorbed.  Magnesium Taurate, Glycinate or Chelated are the best ones to go for in my opinion.  Some cardiologist are now saying that just about everyong would benefit from some degree of Magnesium supplementation for hearth and nervous system healthy.  

Thank you. Good to know. Plan to get this on Amazon. 

For me, there is definitely a hormonal component. The pill can change the way you metabolize carbohydrates, change the immune system.. so many things... so maybe that is part of it.  The pill is also 4x the amount of steroid hormones that women have normally in their body and I did not react well to that.  I also don't react well to the increase in pregnancy hormones in the 3rd trimester.  

Some pills are worse than others... Yaz/Yasmin is a birth control pill AND a potassium sparring-diuretic.  That is the one I got very, very sick from.  I would research them carefully.  

i should clarify that when I was on the pill, I took it without the 7 day break and didn't get a period.  Once in awhile I would get break through bleeding and the only way I could get it to stop was to go off for the 7 days and get a period. I would have to schedule the break for a week when I had nothing important to do because it was truly a horrible week with a migraine and POTS symptoms that were really bad. You can take any oral contraceptive without the break if you want to avoid the  hormone fluctuation and not get a period. You don't have to take one that is marketed that way.   

My OB/GYN also researched pills and prescribed one that was more likely to raise blood pressure, which in my case, was what I wanted. 

On 4/23/2018 at 12:26 AM, Jan said:

i should clarify that when I was on the pill, I took it without the 7 day break and didn't get a period.  Once in awhile I would get break through bleeding and the only way I could get it to stop was to go off for the 7 days and get a period. I would have to schedule the break for a week when I had nothing important to do because it was truly a horrible week with a migraine and POTS symptoms that were really bad. You can take any oral contraceptive without the break if you want to avoid the  hormone fluctuation and not get a period. You don't have to take one that is marketed that way.   

My OB/GYN also researched pills and prescribed one that was more likely to raise blood pressure, which in my case, was what I wanted. 

Oooh which one causes blood pressure to rise? I am guessing one that has been around for a while.   I usually do the 7 day break and get a cycle but may try to no 7 day break and see how things go!