How to Choose Biofeedback Practitioner?

KariDK

My integrative medical doctor has said that biofeedback may help me.  He doesn't know of anyone to recommend.  I've considered the Pots Treatment Center in Dallas.  I'd like to find someone in my area.  I've found a lot of biofeedback practitioners listed on www.bcia.org (Biofeedback Certification International Alliance).

Before I start calling the list of practitioners, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for in a practitioner?  Questions to ask?  I started looking at websites, and so far no one lists POTS or dysautonomia as a condition they treat.

Any input would be helpful.  :-)  I make slow progress . . . but whenever I am able to start biofeedback, I will update with my experiences.

I have tried biofeedback in a few forms and I found that it helped me mildly.   I wouldn't travel for it.   There are even machines you can buy at home.  I tried Resperate and I liked it.  You might want to do some google searches the Dallas center. It is considered controversial in the POTS community.

I found biofeedback a little helpful as well.  I also would not travel far for the mild benefits I gave me.  When I was diagnosed my doctor recommended a few visits with a psychologist whose expertise was in chronic illness.  He used biofeedback for some patients.  At his encouragement I tried it and found it helpful in learning how my body responded to breathing patterns.  For me it was just another approach to meditation--but with data.   I think it is worth trying but I would avoid anyone who would claim it would cure a condition.

Thank you Yogini and MomtoGuiliana for your input! 

Your comments confirmed my decision not to travel to Dallas.  Yes, I have read pro and con reviews. . . . 

Yogini, you reminded me of Resp-e-rate, which I tried many years ago--before my health crashed.  A naturopathic doctor recommended it to lower then elevated BP.  I found that I got lightheaded doing the deep breathing.  Perhaps I won't be much of a candidate for biofeedback either.  I'll ask about that.

I'm so encouraged, Yogini, that you were able to go off of medication, and that you are able to do so many forms of exercise.  You are an inspiration to me.  (No meds yet, but the cardiologist seems to be heading in that direction.  Tilt table test pending.)