Help Guys...Why again?

In short , I started all the autonomic issues in 2010. It was all pretty severe but discovered hypovolemia, sweat issues, heart rate and so forth though several years of doctor visits. Over time some of the symptoms have calmed down through the years. I can sleep again, salt and fluids help my blood pressure and heart rate stay a bit more stable, things like odd vision disturbances became better as time went on. Now, for the past couple of weeks I am having some of those issues again. Nervous, can't sleep, feel revved up, vision is off, heart rate higher again. So the only thing I can think of is 3 weeks ago I had the flu. Pretty bad but was happy I came through it OK. Now I am worried that it has caused some autonomic issues to become worse again. Just don't feel like I can go through years before I improve . I am 59 :(.    Has anyone had flare ups after an illness and if so, how long did they last? Thanks in advance.

I am 51, had POTS for 8 years and I ALWAYS have a flare after even the slightest illness - even just a cold.  Sometimes I need IV fluids to bring me around but mostly it is rest followed by slow reconditioning. In my case that means trying to get out of bed when able and then increasing the time out on my feet every day along with specific exercises that I can do in bed, then sitting and then standing. POTS flares are scary - even I loose hope sometimes and I get them several times a year! Just always remember that bedrest is your enemy - we have to move despite our exercise intolerance! -- Get well soon...

So sorry about your flare up.  I have not had a significant flare up for awhile but I did have them a few times in the last 10 yrs.   I am nearly 50.  Even the most severe ones lasted only a week or two.  Hopefully yours will ease up soon.  Definitely illness like the flu can be a set back--even for healthy people full recovery can take a couple of weeks or more.

I had my first cold virus in December since developing full blown POTS in 2014.  It started a lupus and POTS flare that I am still battling.  It is very disheartening.  I have continued my exercises but back off on really bad days.  I believe it is common to have this reaction to an illness.  I suspect as we age (I’m 56) it’s harder to bounce back just like it is for our healthy contemporaries.  Maybe contact your Drs and see if they have any advice?  I’m really, really sorry that you are going through this all again.  

I just had a flare after developing Shingles in Dec 2017. My POTS had resolved in Jan 2014, So I too am quite worried. I am 47yrs old now and am now post menopausal, which I think helps, since I used to have to worse POTS symptoms prior to my periods. I pray your flare up passes. I pray I never end up where I was back in 2011-2013. 

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I returned to needing Midodrine after being med free and feeling close to 85% better since my flare of 2011.  Not sure why.  I caught a cold, but not the flu. I traveled a lot since October and I'm completely over tired.  Hang in to all looking for reasons for flares, clues to calm the insides down and a CURE!

It's so hard to know what causes flares. Sometimes for me I don't have to do anything different, it's hard to predict. It gets discouraging, it's up and down. Sometimes it's just a couple of days and sometimes it's weeks. Just try and take good care of yourself in the mean time. It's really hard and frustrating, I hope you get feeling better soon!!