Osteopenia

WinterSown

I went for a routine Bone Mineral Density test yesterday. My last was three years ago, this about when most of my symptoms were starting to show. In three years time I have lost about 8% bone density. Dairy is my go to protein so I'm curious about if I need more calcium over what I am getting now. And the paperwork also says I may have low Vitamin D levels. I don't get out enough (no kidding when you don't want to leave your house) and when I do that all lotion I wear still has sunscreen--I'm not getting enough sun exposure. Pleh, who needs all this too? Osteopenia is the stage before Osteoporosis and this puts me at a risk for bone fractures if I fall. Vertigo and tripping are some of my main symptoms. I've got my three-monther coming up next week with the primary, I'll hand him the paperwork but I want my cardiologist to give a second opinion on treatment options. It. Never. Ends.

Guest KiminOrlando

I have osteopenia too. I've been on prednisone, so they chalk it up to that. Interesting. I'm also low on D, so I take supplements. They think my gastroparesis has something to do with malabsorption, but all of this is a guess.

My next bone scan is on Friday.

My own thought, not discussed with Drs, is that we don’t use our big muscles and bones enough to keep them strong.  Are you doing strength training of any sort?  It likely can’t hurt.  My vitamin D was low too but has come up with supplements.  I’v read, no idea where, that some Drs and/or countries use hormone replacement therapy for osteopenia. My GYN put me on it a year ago for something else and I think maybe, perhaps, possibly that it helps the dysautonomia.  I’m not sure, I just recall seeing some improvement at that time although I started a different beta blocker about a month later so?  What I’m trying to say is don’ be afraid of HRT if the Dr suggests it.   As you say, it’s always something.  Please let us know what happens.

3 hours ago, p8d said:

My own thought, not discussed with Drs, is that we don’t use our big muscles and bones enough to keep them strong.  Are you doing strength training of any sort?  It likely can’t hurt.  My vitamin D was low too but has come up with supplements.  I’v read, no idea where, that some Drs and/or countries use hormone replacement therapy for osteopenia. My GYN put me on it a year ago for something else and I think maybe, perhaps, possibly that it helps the dysautonomia.  I’m not sure, I just recall seeing some improvement at that time although I started a different beta blocker about a month later so?  What I’m trying to say is don’ be afraid of HRT if the Dr suggests it.   As you say, it’s always something.  Please let us know what happens.

I do PT twice a week for the last 18 months, I do a lot of training and sometimes with weights--I was walking around carrying the two 45 pound plates. The problem is that I was just DXed with a bunch of burst and bulging disks in my neck so we stopped doing anything with lifting weights for now. I loved using the bar and pulley weights but that's on hold for a while.

I have been diagnosed with severe osteoporosis that is decades more advanced than it should be for my age.

In my case, the rheumatologist who discovered the osteoporosis also did blood work to check my electrolytes. He discovered they were severely imbalanced. He said, yep, that would do it. 

Under his labwork monitoring I corrected the imbalances with careful nutrition focused on increasing my mineral intake to balance out my electrolytes. Long story short, I now keep my electrolytes in balance (with day to day effort) and at least the bone deterioration has stopped. 

I would add that he thinks my autonomic nervous system is responsible for not regulating my electrolytes properly. Makes sense. 

Edited by Missy M
left something out

I have osteoporosis and osteopenia too.  You may want to ask your doctor about supplementing with calcium, magnesium, D3, and K2.

You might also want to use trekking poles, as recommended by my integrative medicine doctor.  When I'm feeling lightheaded (which is often) I use the trekking poles inside the house and outside.  Even using one pole helps me to be more stable on my feet.  I found a great pair on Amazon--lots of options.

My insurance got me a special light for my very low vitamin d, I use it 4-6 hours a day and take vitamin d supplements. I have osteopenia and will be getting another bone scan in a few months. Hopefully the extra vitamin d and light have helped.

I was dx'd with osteoporosis in my late teens.  I've managed to improve to osteopenia.  It's been 5 years since my last bone density scan so I'm hoping to do one sometime soon. 

I live in Florida, so getting vitamin D isn't all that difficult for me.  I try to get a little sun at lunchtime a few days a week and naturally get some just being out and about on weekends.  I try to eat "real" foods, ie: food which doesn't come from a box.  Nothing special as far as diet, I just look at the way my grandparents lived and have tried to duplicate that.  Both of them lived well into their 90s without meds.  As one of my doctors pointed out, vitamins in nature don't come in pill form -- they come in food.  He's leery of supplements and instead pushed me to eat more foods which contain those vitamins and other beneficial chemicals which science isn't aware of.  

Exercise-wise, nothing fancy here.  Not even weights (hoping to change that soon).  Just plenty of walking.