Prescribed an implantable cardiac event re

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

Dr. Grubb has set me up to have a implantable event monitor.

Does anyone know how this is done, or has anyone had this don? I don't find a lot in the computer so far, but still looking. I just want to know what to expect during the procedure.

I read that local anesthetic is used---but The nurse at Dr. Grubb's office said they put me partially out. I'm not one who tolerates drugs well at all----so i'm not real happy about being put partially out.

They were going to do it this Wednesday, but now it has been changed to the 29th because I didn't want to stir up my POTS before I go to Milwaukee to see Dr. Heffez.

Julie :0)

I believe the information you're looking for can be found here:

http://www.medtronic.com/reveal/paper.html

it's about an implantable cardiac loop monitor.

with an explanation here:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/questions/index.asp?...thirdlevel=1196

Guest Julia59

Thanks Nina,

I checked out those links, and I found a few others. Mainly I wanted to see how it is implanted. It can be done with a local. I want to avoid any other drugs if I can.

I hate the thought of that drug they used on me before. Something that put me in a twilight sleep---------------I can't remember what it was, but I was so sick after it.

I would rather have one of the older drugs----tried and true.

I think the drug was versed---(spelling)----i'm kind of foggy on it as it was in the winter of 2001----I just know I was a mess for two days. Then they gave me an anti-nausia drug when I went to the ER the same night that I had the Upper GI scope. That stuff made me fly----It was really a bad trip.

It was rough when I had my surgery---the anesthesia, but the day after I felt a lot better. I just had tachycardia of 130 right after the surgery and it stayed that way until the next day----uggggg. But long term I was fine. They must have pumped some good things into the IV, because after the initial reaction of the anesthesia it seemed everything worked better----even my bowels which was a shock considering how anesthesia can plug one up. I felt stronger then I have for a couple of years.

Maybe taking the pressure off the spine helped----but unfortunately it's back----- :)

I'm just concerned about drugs----I'm always concerned about reactions to drugs.

julie -

just wanted to tell you that i'm glad to hear dr. g has a plan for you & also to commend you for waiting on after your trip to go ahead with it...that seems really wise to me. i too am always weary of meds, sedation, etc, and have definitely had some bad experiences with it. but i have also been surprised at times when i've done okay so it is possible. especially if you are obcessive about making sure everyone involved knows what is up ahead of time. will it actually be done at MCO? (er...MUO....) do you think you would be able to talk to the NP you saw to discuss the med/sedation issue....it seems like she might be a good person to run things by?

:-)melissa

Julie,

I will be thinking about you...both when you go to Milwaukee and on the 29th when you have this device implanted.

They can do it with local so ask the Dr's if they are willing to. Sometimes they don't like to because lots of people tend to be queasy and fidgety so it's easier for the DR. if you are out.

Take care and keep us posted!

Good going, Julie.

I know you can work out the details. And we both know that Dr. Grubb knows what he is doing when it comes to POTS.

I once rewrote a football book for kids and one thing you do in football is you plan the play and then you play the plan. You have already planned the play and now you are ready to play it. You will soon know a lot more about what is going on.

hugs,

Michigan Jan

Guest Julia59

Thanks for the answers everyone!

I'm just going to ask Dr. Grubb to not use anything other then the local anesthetic----it's a 15 minute procedure, heck, I do dental work all the time with no local anesthetic.

If he insists on something---then valium I guess. I just won't do the versed.

I am so terribly sensitive to drugs. I don't know what they gave me a long time ago when I had my tonsils out. I was 18 years old and it was rough. The stuff they gave me before was great. No fear at all----I'm so afraid of flying, I would have no problem on that drug. I don't know when versed came out, but my tonsil surgery was in 1977.

there are more choices than just versed if you want/need short duration anesthesia. First, of course you should ask your doctor what is standard procedure for implantation. Additionally, you can get a consult with one of the hospital's anesthesiologists, and you may then specify you're previous history with versed and ask about what the other options are and the risks/benefits of those options.

Nina

Guest Julia59

They are going to have a liaison call me, and the nurse told me to voice my concerns about meds then, and they will talk with the anesthesiologist, or Dr. Grubb to see what the other choices are if sedation is a must. I have read where only a local is used on many occasions. It's OK if they want sedation, i'll just deal with it. I'm sure i'm in good hands.

I had a mole dug out of my leg in 1998 with a lot of bleeding and a 1 inch incision, there was complications with bleeding, and it was difficult to get it to stop. It was my inner left thigh. I told them I wanted to see the procedure, but they wouldn't let me. I only had a local then. I don't fear blood or needles----just drugs.

Thanks for the information, if the liaison doesn't call, I will call and ask to speak with the anesthesiologist before the procedure. :):)