migraines

Do you get migraines?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you get migraine headaches?

• 0-5 times a month
    • 5-10 times a month
    • more than 10 a month
  2. 2. What helps your migraines?

• non narcotic medication
    • narcotic medication
    • daily medication to prevent migraines
    • better hydration
    • laying down
  3. 3. Do you find they are related to:

• hormonal
    • stress
    • weather changes
    • other
    • unsure

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/22/2017 at 02:09 AM

I have had pots for nine years, and somewhere along the way, a diagnosis of cfs and fibromyalgia was added. I have been getting migraine type headaches for about 2 years. I was wondering if others are experiencing these, and what helps you. I used to take a non narcotic like Aleve, but it stopped working. I have Vicodin ordered, and that is the only thing that helps me, along with laying down in a quiet dark room. Previously, they were hormonal related. Now I am thinking stress related as well.

Guest KiminOrlando

Excedrin Migraine works for me about 60% of the time. My neuro just started me on 400mg of Ribiflavin (B2) for them as well. He said it may take a few months before we know if that will help. I hate to go to something that drugs me, but some days, I would take almost anything to make it go away. 

I can't take the triptan drugs, they do nothing for me.  I use an old drug, Fioracet.  It works wonders!  I can actually function without having to go into a dark room.  I had gotten 7 in about a 3 day period and the doctor tried the med on me.  It was that magic pill!  I don't think it's a narcotic either.

I've had migraine type headaches for years and they are, in my case, linked to my bowel. When my bowel is full or in spasm my head throbs. Latterly the migraines got worse and they were caused by a pituitary tumour. Once there was a bleed, I had a very severe headache and then it diminished and I have only had milder headaches since. 

Thinking outside the box here.... My oldest has been having at least 2 migraines a day for the past couple of weeks.  We have come to the conclusion that she has pseudotumor cerebri.  It's a build up of too much spinal fluid.  It causes real skull-cracking migraines.  The last time this happened,  she had a lumbar puncture to release the fluid and her migraines went away for weeks.  They came back some, but not near like they are now. 

I agreed to try magnesium oxide and vitamin B2, just so I could say I tried it.  400 mg/day each.  I expected it not to work, but it did.  Over the course of a month or two my migraines faded out and now I hardly ever get one at all.  If I do get one, it is so mild it almost doesn't count and Excedrin and a nap takes care of it.

In my experience Methyldopa!!!  Absolute miracle drug for me (I have really low blood pressureIt so I take 1/4 pill and salt like crazy). It alleviates the dysautonomia and especially blunts the adrenaline rushes. Nobody mentioned this so I was surprised to find out that it alleviated about 98 percent of my migraines. When I get them now they aren't such a big deal and I don't feel like my head is going to explode.