root canal

gertie

After procrastinating for over a year I think I am finally going to get brave enough to have a root canal.   I have been told by my dentist not to have the tooth extracted unless absolutely necessary.  One of my biggest questions is, if you've had a RC did you smell any of the disinfectants  used in cleaning  the tooth.  I am very sensitive to odors.   Thanks.

I just had a root canal done this summer. I did briefly smell a bleach like smell, but it was not any stronger than how it might smell if you went to a swimming pool I would say, and did not last long.

It was not as bad as I had expected. I made sure my dentist knew I am sensitive to Epinephrine, and he used an alternative numbing solution that did not trigger my tachycardia.

I've had a few since having pots. I don't remember any issues with odors. The only concern I had really was anesthesia. Like Mountain girl said, I also had the kind without epinephrine. It does wear off quicker than regular anesthesia, so I had to ask for a little more during the procedure to get me through it. 

If it smells anything like a swimming pool I'm in trouble.  I can smell an indoor pool before I enter the building.  I guess that's hard to believe but the smell makes me very sick.   I do ask for no epinephrine & always have to have more anesthetic during a procedure.  Add  holding the mouth open a long time & I can see this is not gonna be easy.   I do appreciate your comments.

Thank you.  I didn't notice the scent being to bad during a filling but I always have trouble walking out of a dental procedure because I'm so weak from chemical exposures.  Chlorine & glues are  2 of my most serious allergies.  Dentist say they do not use any toxic products, what a joke.