Switching from atenolol to metoprolol

Ashleigh

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here, but I've had IST for 7 years now. I've been taking atenolol for the last few years and it has worked really well for me. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find a pharmacy with atenolol to refill my prescription thanks to the current shortage. I was prescribed metoprolol XL instead, and I have felt awful since switching. Initially, I had frequent palpitations and high HR, dizziness, and headaches. After a few days on the original dose, my doctor increased my dose, and since then my heart-related symptoms have mostly improved, but I have had a near constant headache for days. Atenolol actually had the side benefit of improving my migraines, but metoprolol seems to be making them worse. 

Has anyone experienced anything similar switching from atenolol to metoprolol, or between any other beta-blockers? Is this just an adjustment period? I don't know whether to contact my doctor again about increasing the dose or trying a different beta-blocker, or if I should give it more time.

I actually switched from metoprolol to atenolol and atenolol was way too strong.  Had no issues with metoprolol, but atenolol required me to break the smallest pill they have in half.  Never messed with the metoprolol XL, have you talked to them about the regular/multi dose per day?

We're all different, but for whatever reason my body doesn't like extended release anything.

I was first prescribed metoprolol and couldn't tolerate it so I switched to atenolol. After that I tried a couple of other beta blockers without problem, so I think for me metoprolol wasn't the right drug.  This might be true for you too, or not. I encourage you to speak with your doctor.  Also, can you get atenolol from mail order, etc?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been taking atenolol 50mg extended release for about 5 years, and it’s been working well, especially after switching from the initial 25 mg dose, to 50 mg.

Like many others, I was forced to switch to metoprolol when atenolol recently became unavailable. I was switched to 50mg of the metoprolol also. I started noticing headaches and other symptoms of high blood pressure, especially while in the hospital for a recent relatively minor, but painful surgery.

I was seeing 185/107 at times on the BP monitor, but the nurse of the day didn’t seem too concerned...my surgeon saw it, and suggested I trigger the PCA Dilaudid more frequently.

I had a bottle of metoprolol with me, so I took some extra. It helped.

I saw a NP at my cardiologist’s office since then, and was increased from 50mg per day to 75mg, divided between morning and night.

As long as my pain level is under control, the blood pressure seems to be also.

Since then, I have seen a comparison done by the NIH, which compared 200mg per day of metoprolol to 50mg per day of atenolol...

I’m even more confused...

I did find that some pharmacies in the area now have atenolol in stock again. I have a current prescription, but my insurance will probably give me a hard time about filling it after getting a fill of metoprolol last week...

On 10/20/2017 at 5:31 PM, Pan said:

I did find that some pharmacies in the area now have atenolol in stock again. I have a current prescription, but my insurance will probably give me a hard time about filling it after getting a fill of metoprolol last week...

I keep asking, but I still haven’t heard of any pharmacies near me that have it. I hope that means it’ll be back soon though! 

I know all insurance companies are different, but I’ve filled 3 beta-blocker prescriptions in the last month with no issues. If you know atenolol works for you and it’s available, I’d definitely try to fill it!