Calcium channel blocker

My cardiologist has changed my med from proponlol to diltiazem. Due to my breathing issues the beta blocker was making it worse. I did notice my heart rate was lower while on it but it did not help any other symptoms along with making the breathing issue worse. So now he switched me to the calcium channel blocker. I have only been on it for a few day so far so I am not sure how well it will work. I have noticed my heart rate really isn't lower.

Has anyone else tried it and how well has it worked for you?

Calcium channel blockers are not usually prescribed to pots patients, they don't do much to lower heart rate . Mostly prescribed for people with arithmias and afib and to lower blood pressure.  Propranolol is a non cardiac specific beta blocker ,so it can mess with your breathing . I was on it and works great to control heart rate ,but I had breathing problems also . Cardiac specific beta blockers usually don't cause breathing issues. 

Hi StayAtHomeMom, I'm currently on a cc blocker though it is not the same one you have been prescribed. I found that as far as my heart rate and blood pressure goes it doesn't really affect either of them, but it does help with chest pain and pressure so that's why I continue to stay on it. I haven't noticed any negative effects from being on the medication either.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Claire said:

What about ace inhibitors do they help with pots or hurt

I don't know. Beta blockers seems to be the go to. My pulmonologist recommended last year to go to metoprolol and that helped me better than the calcium channel blocker. It was great for about a year. Right now it is not helping as much as I would like but for the first year it was amazing. And it didn't bother my breathing like the propranolol. 

I am on both - BB and Diltiazem. In my particular case this is a very effective combo because I experience tachycardia and hypertension due to excessive vasoconstriction. It usually is not recommended if you have trouble with vasodilation. It all depends on your specific case which meds help. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I am on both - BB and Diltiazem. In my particular case this is a very effective combo because I experience tachycardia and hypertension due to excessive vasoconstriction. It usually is not recommended if you have trouble with vasodilation. It all depends on your specific case which meds help. 

How can you tell which issues you have and can it change?

@StayAtHomeMom - I have hyperadrenergic POTS and my symptoms stem from elevated norepinephrine levels which cause vasoconstriction. Most POTS is caused by vasodilation, the blood vessels are not able to adequately constrict and push the blood back to the heart. This can be caused by different mechanisms. --- I am not sure (but do not believe) that your specific reason for the symptoms changes, but it can get better. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

@StayAtHomeMom - I have hyperadrenergic POTS and my symptoms stem from elevated norepinephrine levels which cause vasoconstriction. Most POTS is caused by vasodilation, the blood vessels are not able to adequately constrict and push the blood back to the heart. This can be caused by different mechanisms. --- I am not sure (but do not believe) that your specific reason for the symptoms changes, but it can get better. 

I meant can vasoconstriction issues change to vasodilation issues. Or vice versa. Is there no test to tell what kind of issue there is?

I am not sure about formal testing but factors suggestive of a vasoconstricted state are cold extremities, pallor and BP that is on the high side (this is like me). Also having tiny invisible veins and being very difficult to draw blood from (I didn't used to be like this prior to having POTS - I had big juicy veins). Vasoconstricted types don't tend to do well with drugs like midodrine.

A vasodilated person would tend to be warm to touch and may have lower BP. They would probably feel better on vasoconstricting medication like midodrine. 

Which type do you think fits you best?

B x

8 hours ago, bombsh3ll said:

I am not sure about formal testing but factors suggestive of a vasoconstricted state are cold extremities, pallor and BP that is on the high side (this is like me). Also having tiny invisible veins and being very difficult to draw blood from (I didn't used to be like this prior to having POTS - I had big juicy veins). Vasoconstricted types don't tend to do well with drugs like midodrine.

A vasodilated person would tend to be warm to touch and may have lower BP. They would probably feel better on vasoconstricting medication like midodrine. 

Which type do you think fits you best?

B x

I do well with the midodrine except the tingles are annoying. I have had them since day one almost every dose. I have been on it for a year. I have a low body temp and always Cold but I usually don't have issues getting blood drawn. 

We don't always fit neatly into a category, but your description sounds closer to vasodilated than constricted. Were you always cold before midodrine or just with it? Basically it makes you more vasoconstricted which does lead to coldness. I am like that naturally. I was always a cold fish even before POTS.

B x

4 hours ago, bombsh3ll said:

We don't always fit neatly into a category, but your description sounds closer to vasodilated than constricted. Were you always cold before midodrine or just with it? Basically it makes you more vasoconstricted which does lead to coldness. I am like that naturally. I was always a cold fish even before POTS.

B x

Always Cold blooded. Even as a kid. I believe I have issues constricting because when I smoke a cigarette I usually feel better. Nicotine constricts blood vessels. But I was curious because they way our bodies freak out I wondered if it could flip flop.