New research on POTS - Possible Epigenetic (togglable gene expression) roots?

kaevne

This article came out a week ago.  

http://neurosciencenews.com/fainting-disorder-neurology-6293/

The research paper was apparently also published in https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/90183.  Assuming this passes through peer review, it's possible we have a new route to explore in POTS causes.

To summarize, researchers claimed to identify the markers for why a particular gene, NET, turns off in POTS patients.  Apparently, there is an FDA-approved drug that will turn it back on in vitro, and they are looking into other routes.

Thanks for sharing!

Brittany Murphy's brother discussed her having had POTs (or maybe it was general dysautonomia? I can't remember at the moment) in an interview.

Is the article suggesting chemotherapy for POTs? I can't quite grasp what the research concluded as I've been pretty out of it today. 

Guest KiminOrlando

Interesting read, Kaevne. Well, the parts that I could follow. :)

Is this the kind of thing we would take to a Hematologist or just my regular cardio that treats my dysautonomia? It almost sounds like we may need to consult a geneticist to see if we have this- I don't know, it isn't really a mutation, is it? Just a deactivation? I think they are on to something with this because my norepinephrine is flowing, but my receptors are just ignoring it. If I could just hit the reset button... 

Please keep us informed.

Kim

Love epigenetics! It will eventually be a huge source for therapeutic options for many different diseases caused by a combination of genetic traits and environmental triggers. I am glad to see that this is happening with POTS.... impressive progress for a "new" disorder! (relatively speaking)