MRI

hi Everyone!!!!!

I was able to get ahold of my doc in pittsburgh, and he wants me to have an MRI done again, only this one is specifically for the "pituitary protocol"

If I recall correctly the pituitary is a gland in your head right?

Have any of you had this checked into? what exactly do they look for?

Linda

Guest tearose

Linda,

Yes, the pituitary gland is in your head, at the top of the brain stem...sort of at the back, middle base of your brain where the neck and head kinda meet. Look on line for a picture!

Anyway, they will be looking for any unusual growths or interesting formations...sometimes people have a funky something growing there. Some can stay there and some will need to be removed...this is probably to rule out any complications causing some of your symptoms.

Let us know when you are doing the MRI!

take care, tearose

linda -

i haven't had a specific pituitary-protocal MRI, but have had several bloodtests done that were specific to various pituitary abnormalities, tumors, etc....these sorts of things can mirror a lot of POTS problems & are often very treatable. i have an article on some of this but it isn't online; if anything further occurs in this realm for you let me know and i'll get it to you. so...they're probably just covering the basis...one of those "probably won't show anything but let's check just in case" tests. let us know how it goes...

:-)melissa

Hi Linda,

I hope things go well for you. I had an MRI in that area and they found a pons lesion. Basically, they do nothing but to continue to check to make sure that the lesion does not change or that I don't grow any new ones. Usually, they do not operate in that area because it is too dangerous. When they first found the pons lesion they thought I had MS. Well it turned out to be negative. My doctors conclued that the lesion is somehow related to my POTS. No one knows for sure.

Best of Luck,

Christine

I had an MRI looking to make sure I didn't have a stroke or a tumor on my pituitary. My MRI was interpreted as normal, but there was a note that my pituitary looked "moderately full," meaning it was a bit enlarged but still within normal limits. My docs found it insignificant. The MRI is not as bad as I expected it to be, but it is noisy. Good luck.

Amy