High BP and Blacking Out Moments of Time? Scary.

Kris4444

I have no idea if this is due to my hyper POTS or just a strange occurrence but here's what happened.

My husband and I love the show Quantico on TV. We watched the first episode of the season last Sunday. I happened to have a VERY busy weekend that weekend (in and out of malls and stores looking for a refrigerator and then eating out twice over the weekend) and was having extremely high blood pressures (175/111) and feeling terrible. This past weekend I told my husband I wanted to watch the second episode. When we turned it on, I was completely lost! I started asking my husband questions. I was not able to recall the biggest part of what had happened in the show but did remember tidbits. I asked him to replay episode one. As I watched I started to really freak out. I remember watching the show but huge moments of time were missing. I do not believe I fell asleep, I was not distracted by my phone as I make sure to put it down for my favorite shows, especially this one because it flashes back and forth in time and you really need to pay attention. This whole thing is freaking me out!

Have any of you had something like this happen? Do you think this related to my dysautonomia and/or high bp? I've never had my bp get so high. It has since gotten better as we have added a 1/2 of a hctz in the evening but I still get high spikes which my doctor thinks is related to my NE spiking. He has recommended bumping my beta blocker up and getting rid of the hctz so I can get back to getting IV fluids (I've had to skip a couple of weeks due to the high bp). 

So sorry you are going through this, I have had similar episodes and my doctors are still trying to figure out what is happening/going on. Strange that you mention it happening when you were watching TV, mine happens almost 85-90 percent of the time while I am relaxed watching TV. Have had it happen a few times with friends visiting. Doctors are looking at my blood pressure, NE levels, body position, what I was doing earlier in day...even possible seizure activity or TIA pretty much anything they can think of. It freaks me out also, my kids when they were still at home called it my zoiding out episodes. Wish I could give you the answer to what is happening, but know that you are not alone. I will post if I get any ideas or answers from my doctors. Hopefully someone else on the forum will have some experience and ideas on this.

Yes, most of the doctors think it is the dysautonomia, but a few still want to check out possible seizure activity or TIA's. I have a past history of both seizure like episodes and DVT/TIA's so they will not say dysautonomia until these have been ruled out. I am learning to tell my doctors any new or changing issues because it could be the thing that gives them that light bulb moment. 

I do think you should mention this to your doc since it's a new symptom.  

I have this issue daily. There are many things I forget about conversations I've had with people, I have no name recall for new people I meet anymore, I forget story lines to shows, I can't remember what I read in a book just a few minutes after reading it, I know I drove myself from point A to point B but I have no recall of the drive (this one scares me the most because it makes me wonder if I was paying attention while driving.). It was scary at first but I've gotten used to it. My long term memory is still perfectly intact, it's my short term memory that is a problem. 

Before I was dx'd with POTS, this was so concerning they sent me for neuropsychiatric testing to make sure I didn't have early onset dementia (which I don't. ) My POTS neuro says it is from the POTS and likely had to do with cerebral perfusion affecting the memory center in the brain.

I know it's scary (and you should consult your doc) but it may very well be just another highly annoying symptom that thankfully isn't dangerous.

I did email my doctor today. He said it's concerning and that we'd have to do an MRI of the brain but since my bp has returned to baseline he doesn't think we'd find any abnormalities. 

In the meantime I found my lab results from my hospitalization at the end of August when they did the erythromycin infusions for my gastroparesis. They told me after 48 hours of infusions (should have been 72 hrs) that it wasn't working and that my labs look great so I should go home. My labs show a DRASTIC fall in both hemoglobin and platelets.  They sent me home anemic! I don't understand. Lots going on and lots of emails back and forth with doctors right now. Very frustrated!