Meditation for stabilizing autonomic function?

green

I've read some interesting studies on how meditation changes autonomic function. 

Here is the kind of thing I've been reading: http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2009/issue61/

Ancedotally, the book "Zen and The Brain" gives a first person account of changes in nervous system activity taking place in an amateur (but intensive) meditator. 

During periods of intense meditation, I've noticed some changes in my own reactivity - like a diminished startle response that set in during a retreat. Really loud, sudden noises would not make my hair stand-up or give me goose-bumps - it was noteworthy because I've always had an elevated startle response. I sometimes really flip out when I'm surprised. Interestingly, here is a study on this very topic:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0123512

They talk about 'de-automization of hardwired processes' - it seems like the autonomic nervous system is this thing we have no control over. But maybe we CAN control it, or at least, MAYBE with consistent, regular practice, the autonomic nervous system can be retrained thus, reducing the symptoms of POTS?

I wonder if anyone has had success doing intensive meditation for long periods of time? I'm taking meditation more seriously than I used to, because I've been going through periods of ruminative depression (melancholy and anhedonia exacerbated by ruminating about past life-events). But, I've just been meditating to help with unhealthy cognition which I consider to be not directly related to my OI/POTS issues. I was just thinking today: I wonder if I should switch to an 'easier' form of meditation (like TM), which, although less reputable for improved cognition, has some pretty good documented effects on the para/sympathetic nervous system. 

Edited by green
to provide more information and be clearer in my expression

Hey green, I'm not sure about how much meditation can alter our autonomic system, but I do find it to be beneficial enough for myself that I do it every day. It seems like there is nothing but beneficial value to daily mediation, at least from studies I've read, but they typically will deal more with anxiety or depression and things like that. I personally do about 20 minutes of meditation twice a day, and found that the 20 minute point for me is where I actually notice a cognitive difference afterwards, more so in feeling more "in the moment", but I have not noticed it making a huge difference in my POTS symptoms.

I find meditation helpful. I don't do it as often as I should but I've been able to overcome most of the effects of adrenaline rushes using it so I don't experience the anxiety feeling that I used to get from POTS. Meditative breathing has become second nature enough that I find myself doing it without thinking about it at times when I start to feel presyncopal.

A few years ago, my POTS neuro had pointed out a study they did evaluating the effect of meditation on chronic heart failure patients and it showed improvement in those patients. I posted it back then but I'll have to see if I can find it. 

I have been doing yoga and meditating for 10 years. 

I think yoga made a noticeable difference in my POTS recovery. It probably got me back on my feet, back to the office, etc. I don't need medication anymore, but still have POTS symptoms so not totally cured,

With meditation the effects are more subtle. On a rare day when I am stuck in bed with POTS, meditating won't help at all.  It is like if you do breathing exercises regularly your average HR comes down over time. But the breathing exercises don't cure POTS or help in a POTS flare. They are still great tools for managing stress and improving overall health.

I think any technique that works where you are actually meditating will have the same benefit.  It is fun to try different methods sometimes, but I have stuck to the first technique that works for me for my regular practice. 

Edited by yogini

Thanks for writing, Katybug and Yogini,

I think it's interesting that yoga works better for you, Yogini, than meditation. Yoga is probably a very different activity than meditation - it's light exercise, it involves stretching, it is easier to practice yoga for longer periods of time than it is to meditate. I'm glad it's working for you. 

Thanks for the link, Katybug.

Yoga an exercise that can be as light or as intense as you want it to be. But it's not just exercise - it's a mind body practice just like meditation.  They are usually taught together - I learned them together - and have similar benefits like the things mentioned in your study. I think it's the yoga component and not the mediation that's helped my POTS.

Edited by yogini