Sunbathing. Duh!! Crazy Symptoms. Is This Dangerous?

Kris4444

Since starting a beta blocker I've been having a much better time with riding and exercise. I have heat and cold intolerance and for the summer I have a home nurse who administers IV fluids to help keep me riding in the heat. This summer has been much better than my last few thanks to the beta blocker and hydration.

In July my gastroparesis put me in the hospital for 6 days. Since then I've dropped about 19 pounds and I thought I'd lay out in the sun and get a tan. DUH!! It happened to be the same day that my home nurse comes. I was outside for a while, took a cool shower but then the body temp stuff started and I could not regulate it. I would sweat profusely and then become cold and it would start all over again. When my nurse came hours later, my bp was 157/102 and that is on a beta blocker, heart rate was 95, I was flushed and sweating uncontrollably. I've had this happen before but I never thought to check my bp and hr. Again, DUH!!

In January I am going on vacation to Florida. I really want to go to the beaches with my daughter and enjoy the outdoors. I've told my doctor what happened the other day and their suggestions was to stay out of the sun and stay hydrated but what if you CHOOSE to be in the sun? What can you do to combat the symptoms and are the symptoms dangerous? My home nurse was very concerned, even saying she was afraid I was going to have a stroke. I didn't feel terrible, just sweaty and a bit tired. I would hate to have a major episode while on vacation, away from home with my daughter.

I'd love some feedback. Thank you!

Hi Kris -

i have found that I can be in the sun as long as I am near water whether a pool to cool off in or the ocean. I prefer to lay on a float in the pool when I have opportunity and get some sun that way. But if I tried to lay in the sun without that option I know I would be in bad shape! I definitely won't be doing that ever again. Staying super hydrated also helps and a cooling neck towel for a walk on the beach with your feet in the water also might help with option to dive in if you start getting over heated.

ironically I just got home today from 2 days by family who have a pool. I am freezing, my BP is 69/40 and pulse 53 at last check. Some of this is probably simply lack of sleep, too much visiting, being out of my normal routine and away from my 'safe' and normal environment - but some of it could be due to heat exposure.?.

I would imagine if you are careful and make the necessary adjustments, plan ahead, etc you could still have a wonderful trip with your daughter :) seems there is often a trade off for 'us' though especially if we don't plan well and don't pace enough.

kaitlyn

I can't take the direct sunlight at all. It is the same as a hot shower....vasodilating. And I also seem to have some mast cell reaction to it too. 

I don't know what meds you're on, but some meds also can cause photosensitivity which can express itself in all different manners, so that's something to consider.

I would imagine, although I would verify with her, that the nurses concern was the high blood pressure, which can lead to serious acute complications. I think I would discuss the ongoing risk with doctors more thoroughly if you are considering more sunbathing and want to understand the risk (as opposed to "just stay out of the sun.")

Kaitlyn, thank you. I hope that we can have a great time in Florida. It seems like I have had issues in the sun for a very long time but with being undiagnosed I had no idea how it was actually affecting me. Even after being diagnosed you would think it would dawn on me but having such relief with the beta blocker made me not think about it as much until the other day. Thanks for the tips! I hope the Florida beaches are ready for us!

Katybug, I'm not on that much anymore but probably on more than most, I take the nadolol (bb) and it has really helped with the high heart rate and bp but not consistently which is weird. While I was in the hospital my bp fluctuated from being high to normal. My heart rate was in the 40's, even dipping down to 39 at one point! It was from all of the fluids, I was swelling up like a balloon and they ended up having to stop the fluids all together. I don't think my heart was able to keep up and it was struggling with all the fluids. At home my bp fluctuates too but most of the time it's in the norm unless I'm in pain. Since my Botox injection the pain has been much better but I did have a nasty case of phlebitis from my IV infiltrating in the hospital. It became infected on it's taken 2 rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it (hopefully, still on the 2nd dose).My blood sugar has suddenly gotten better as well and was actually LOW in the hospital and they had to put me on a dextrose drip. Since being home I've been able to get off the metformin and my blood sugar has been perfect. Down 19 pounds too. The fluids once a week during the summer has helped me to keep riding. We've switched to lactated ringers as I was swelling from the normal saline. My home nurse is a worry wart, keeps worrying when my bp goes high when we first start fluids. I agree that my doctor needs to give me more information regarding my symptoms when in the sun so I better understand. His nurses keeps answering his emails. Their email service was down today so I'm hoping he will respond to me tomorrow. I hope you are doing well. Haven't touched base in a while.

I do have cooling vests. I think I'll do ok. I just never put two and two together I guess. I didn't realize how the sun and heat were affecting my hr and bp. Now that I'm aware I need to pay closer attention to my body so that I don't end up having an epidode that can set me back for days. No time for that on vacation!