Extra Salt?

Hello,

I'm curious how much extra salt everyone adds to their diet?  My neurologist said I need to add salt to get my blood volume up.  I really don't like salt that much, so he prescribed Florinef.  I need to add more salt too though.  How many grams do you all add (on or off Florinef), and how many teaspoons does that add up to?  I won't be seeing this neurologist again (he actually knew a lot about POTS/was very interested, but said it's not his area of expertise), and it will be a very long time before I can get into the specialty clinic (at least a year...maybe two years).  

My cardiologist wants me to have a minimum of 2g daily but is happy if I get more. I am on florinef.  Just so you understand,  florinef can not work properly without adequate salt intake. It increases blood volume by making you retain more salt which in turn makes you retain more fluid. 

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 3:46 PM, Katybug said:

My cardiologist wants me to have a minimum of 2g daily but is happy if I get more. I am on florinef.  Just so you understand,  florinef can not work properly without adequate salt intake. It increases blood volume by making you retain more salt which in turn makes you retain more fluid. 

Hi Katybug,

Do you space out your salt intake during day ? I am finding I get headaches if I am pushing salt too close together - do you ever find this?

Thanks

I too get headaches when my salt intake increases too much. I try to eat food with the salt and drink more too...which we need to do anyway.

I have migraines so I must do a delicate dance with salt intake :).

• 1 month later...

There is a different between sodium and salt.  There are about 400 mg of sodium in 1 gram of salt - and food content usually labels sodium, not salt,  So make sure you are using the right measurement. Rather than measuring tablespoons of salt, I find it easier to eat food that is naturally high in salt. These are very easy to find - you can research online.  I drink organic broth - that is one way to get all my salt content for the day.

Another one here on Florinef and trying to get enough salt in each day!

Yogini, out of curiosity, which organic broth is that?  The only commercial one I have found is Pacific brand, and it only has 280mg sodium in the entire BOX of broth :(  

I have been measuring teaspoons of salt because the sodium content in salt is fairly consistent (similar to how it is fairly consistent in broth).  

My Dr wants me to get around 5g per day, and there are roughly 2400mg sodium per teaspoon, so I measure 2 slightly heaping teaspoons each day and use them salt my drinks and food throughout the day.  I find I am not using it all each day yet, though, so I just ordered some empty gelatine capsules and plan to use them to make it easier.  I will still salt my food and drinks, I just plan to also take cap full of salt at each meal, to see if that helps.  

Ohhhh, wait!! I think my husband must just buy the LOW sodium kind!  I just now looked on their website, and the "regular" Pacific has 2280mg per box.  Much better.  I would still have to drink two boxes of broth per day.  Not sure I could do that in the summer, but in the winter it may be doable!  

I have chronic daily migraine so it's hard to say if the salt intake affects it as I haven't been migraine free since August. I can say I can only take florinef every other day because of the migraine.  I am a little different with my migraines, as I tend to have low bp when my migraine pain becomes severe and increasing my bp tends to ease the pain some.

I do space my salt through the day. I actually crave salt (and always have even pre-POTS) so I can eat a lot of salt in one meal. 

My favorite broth is called Better than Boullion brand. It's a paste which you can get in Whole Foods -- I sometimes see it in regular grocery stores too. I get the organic chicken one.  Whole foods also sells broth cubes which are very high in sodium and organic.   I think it's 750mg per serving, so extremely high in sodium.   I try to stay away from canned broths and soups which have MSG.