Why are salt tabs so expensive???

Nymph

Does anyone know a cheaper source of salt tabs? I take at least four a day. The 1000 count, 1 g tabas that I buy have gone up to $113! This for essentially a kilo of salt! I am considering just learning to down plain old table salt in H2O, but the thought of a teaspoon at a time makes me gag. With the tabs I can take 2 g in the am, 2 in the pm, and just take as needed during the day. Anyone have a cheaper source?

I order Thermotabs from Amazon.  I think they might be a little cheaper, but I haven't calculated them out against the ones you get.  I do know that I bought the 8 pack last time and it worked out to be cheaper than one bottle at a time.  Think the bottles have 100 tabs in them. 

Hi Nymph

I was originally prescribed some salt tablets via my cardio (I'm in UK), but my GP never mentioned it. I was upping my salt intake in food. Some people eat salty snacks. I found no difference to be honest when taking a fair amount. I think if you need salt it is probably better to try the more natural forms anyway. Now I am on the MCAS, very clean and healthy diet, I occasionally use pink Himalayan salt. 

It is so expensive! I just get frustrated sometimes. Before the price of my anti-rheumatic med went up again it was not much more expensive than the salt tabs! To me that is ridiculous. It really adds up. I just need to train myself to drink salt water. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

what I do is buy empty capsules from Amazon by herb affair and fill them myself - cost is around 18  for maybe 1000 capsules. I buy size 1 which holds more than a gram of salt. When I fill them I do a bunch at a time so I don't have to mess with it every day. I also alternate between iodized salt and my preferred sea salts on the advice of my EP/Cardio because he said the sea salt is higher in potassium and we need to watch the potassium levels.

it is really easy to fill them. Just dump the salt in small bowl. Pull the capsule apart and dunk the larger half in to fill it. Then snap the smaller half in place over the larger half and voila homemade salt capsules ?

Another great benefit besides being ALOT cheaper is they don't upset my stomach at all!!

kaitlyn

• 3 weeks later...