Baking Soda and Salt

Have any of you taken baking soda as a salt supplement throughout the day? And if so, have you had any adverse reactions to it or unexpected side effects? I already drink a salt water drink in the morning, but I'm thinking about increasing my sodium intake a little bit, especially during these hot months. I'm on an ant-acid already (pantoprazole) and am not sure if baking soda would react with that somehow. Also, I've read stuff that baking soda can inhibit blood flow, may cause alkalosis, and that you shouldn't take it after a large meal. What are your thoughts?

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried it. But I love salt and don't mind salt water or adding extra salt to my food. Before my illness progressed my normal BP was 90/60 so I think I always gravitated toward salt. Now when my BP drops it doesn't have far to go to get into the danger zone. I make homemade salt capsules and they help and don't upset my stomache the way therma tab will.

Kaitlyn - yes, I have one of those capsule makers and made a bunch with some empty capsules that I keep on hand.  Tried filling them with just regular salt, too.  The regular salt ones upset her stomach the worst.  I was surprised.  I often put meds that I don't want to digest in her stomach in a capsule so that they'll digest in her intestines.  Thanks for the suggestion!