Vsl#3 Probiotic

yogini

Hi, I am wondering whether anyone here has tried VSL#3? A friend of mine was telling me about another friend with a chronic illness - the type which no doctor could figure out what was going on with her. She tried VSL#3 and it helped her with everything. It is expensive $100 per jar $60 on Amazon.com. I am thinking of giving a try. I think it helped this person with other unexpected things - like clearing up her skin, increasing energy, improving bloating, etc. I searched on the forum and a few people asked about it, but I didn't see much experience with actually using it. Thanks. (I have already tried FloraQ, Florastor, Culturelle, etc. and haven't noticed much improvement.)

No experience with it, but I have heard only good things about VSL#3.

I take Orthobiotic as recommended by a doctor and I like it a lot. One thing it has that many of these other probiotics do not have in them is Saccharomyces boulardii. It's a yeast and my understanding is that it helps fight against candida (I was on long-term antibiotics, so this was an important thing to me). Looks like it can have some other benefits also, per WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-332-saccharomyces%20boulardii.aspx?activeingredientid=332&activeingredientname=saccharomyces%20boulardii

I get it from Ortho Molecular Products

Price-wise, it's about the same cost on Amazon.

Was just reading VSL's website and it says the probiotic needs refrigeration. Be careful where you order it from. Who knows how long it's been sitting around in a hot Amazon warehouse. If a discount is important to you, you might seek out a no refrigeration necessary probiotic (Orthobiotic, Prescript-Assist and Bio-Kult are the ones I know that are shelf-stable).

Kelly,

Thanks! That's a really good point. I have also noticed that some items I bought on Amazon (not sold by Amazon, but by third party sellers ther) are counterfeit. I heard such good things about VSL, but at the same time $100 for a science experiment seems like a lot! I will have to keep thinking/searching. I will read up on the brands you mentioned, but I have already tried a few well-known probiotics that didn't do much for me...

Edited by yogini

This is just a thought - I wonder if you email VSL and explain that you haven't had much success with other brands and that you would like to try their brand (but $100 is expensive for a trial) if they would be willing to send you a few freebies or let you purchase a lesser number of probiotics (say a week's worth). The worst they can do is tell you no.